Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 17 – “We recognized your hair”

 

Yesterday after the Prayer Walk we were standing around under the school building talking and reliving the experiences we had just had.  I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see some friends standing there from back in the day when I was a homeschool high school basketball coach.  Anthony and Sue were celebrating their wedding anniversary by spending the day in Galveston.  No, they were not the same ones who came to do the Prayer Walk.  That couple was from Tyler.  Anthony and Sue just happened to drive by the church and in Sue's words to Chris, "We recognized your hair."  Driving by.  In the distance.  In the shadows under the building.  Sue has some amazing eyes.  Chris has some amazing hair. 

 

We showed them around the place, then went over into downtown Jamaica Beach to the Blue Water Grill and had some lunch while we caught up on what's happened since we saw them last.  I'm going to be doing a vows renewal for their daughter in a few weeks, so we'll see them again then.  Great folks.  Always a lot of fun to be around.

 

Church this morning went well.  It seemed that the people there were beginning to get excited again about what God is doing and could still do with Seaside.  We just need to get serious and keep Jesus at the center of everything we do.  We start the Experiencing God study next Sunday afternoon at 4.  There are already twelve people signed up for it.  Lots of excitement about that, too. 

 

My allergies have officially reached the incredibly annoying stage.  I didn't sleep much last night because every time I got close to dozing off, I went into a coughing fit because I couldn't breathe.  My last ditch effort was to stack up three pillows and sleep sitting up.  The only option after that was to get out of the room so Chris could at least get some sleep.  But the stack of pillows worked.  Guess I'll begin there tonight. 

 

This afternoon I was switching channels between the Dallas Cowboys' football game and a movie called Baby Mama.  The movie was about a high powered lady executive who hires a surrogate to carry a baby for her.  Definitely a comedy.  Mom was in the room as well, working her ever-present word search puzzles.  After one switch back to the football game, she asked, "Does something like that really happen?"  I was pretty sure I knew what she was talking about.  So how do you explain surrogate parenthood to your 82 year old mother?  I hesitated for a moment before answering … "Are you talking about the football game?"  As it turned out she meant the parenting thing, so I assured her it really did happen, though maybe not so much like they were showing it on the movie.

 

Habakkuk 1:5 says, "Look at the nations and watch — and be utterly amazed.  For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told."

 

Father, come on.  Do something that is only explainable by … you did it.  Amen.


No comments: