Sunday, October 24, 2010

October 24 – “Random thoughts”

 

I had three unusual things happen at church this morning.  First one of our guys who always brings donuts stopped me and said he couldn't understand why more people didn't come to Seaside.  He said, "You're a great pastor, and the people here are great."  Then a lady said she had a word from God for Seaside.  She said, "God is poised to do a great work here through Seaside, based on the love and acceptance and closeness of the community of believers here."  Finally, another lady came up to me after worship and asked if I would pray for a guy she had been sharing Christ with.  "You may have seen him.  He is always at Seven Seas (the West End grocery store) on a motorcycle.  He doesn't look like he is in very good health.  He believes that when he dies he will be reincarnated.  He said you usually come back as someone in your family."  She has tried several approaches with him and as yet none has been successful.  

 

So.  Three random thoughts from three totally different people.  I know things like that happen for a reason.  I'm trying to piece that one together, though.

 

Our new Experiencing God group started this afternoon.  It's been several years since we have had one going, so most of the people are totally new to it.  We have had a lot of new folks come into Seaside lately, too.  There were thirteen of us there today, with a few who plan to come but couldn't make it today.  We even had one couple come who didn't sign up.  The general feeling among the group was one of excitement.  There is a strong sense of anticipation about what God is going to do next here.  My favorite part of the meeting was our prayer time at the end.  People were beginning to get real before God and each other, and it was just the first session.  I'm looking forward to this one.

 

John 15:1-8 says, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

 

Father, make us ready for the fruit you have for us – whatever that looks like.  Amen.


No comments: