Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June 9 – “That place in Luby’s”

 

More texts from Chris last night, and then she called me from a grocery store parking lot.  She had been sent out for potato salad – her Mom's latest craving.  She sounded very tired.  Her Mom is determined to follow her own agenda even if it makes things worse for her physically.  Stubborn.  At least that hasn't changed about her. 

 

Cailyn was supposed to come over to play today.  Her Mom is back in school for the summer and Daddy had to work.  But April texted me and said Cailyn wasn't feeling well, so she was staying home. 

 

Been getting feedback from several sources about the tree perched precariously on our fence.  Sounds like the general consensus right now is for us to take care of it ourselves.  Doesn't sound like many people have faith in our city governmental system to handle such a minor situation.  Maybe after it falls onto the house … or after the other one falls and takes out power for a city block or two … or after one of us gets bit by a snake or a rabid possum.  Nah. 

 

Had to tighten up my belt another notch today – literally.  If nothing else, all these meds for pain have done a number on my appetite.  They should market this combination on Biggest Loser.  Also made it a little easier to go to lunch with Mom.  She said, "Let's go to that place in Luby's."  That may sound a little strange to anyone who doesn't live in Galveston.  See our Lubys shut down awhile back, and guess what opened in its place?  The infamous Healthy Chinese Buffet.  In spite of what they serve, they will always be Luby's because they are the Luby's building.  I actually wasn't all that upset about going.  After all, the two times we have been after church they have always had fried popcorn shrimp and plenty of ketchup. 

 

Alas.  Not so today.  They had shrimp in several forms, though none of it was fried and none of it looked like it was completely done.  It seems fried popcorn shrimp are only available on weekends and at dinner.  What a dilemma.  Now I had to find something else to eat from their admittedly large collection.  I found some fried chicken wings.  They could use some helpful hints from Colonel Sanders.  I tried a barbequed rib.  I don't know where they got their sauce, but it wasn't Texas.  I tried some of the seafood salad.  That wasn't too bad.  Lots of crab and what looked like celery.  I found some corn on the cob, but they had to go back into the kitchen to get me some butter to put on it.  And it was melted butter.  That didn't taste like butter.  I can't believe it's butter.  The corn was good anyway.  Mom tried to put salt on hers, but none would come out of the shaker.  I thought someone might be pulling a prank, so I opened it up.  It was all stuck together like it just came through the dishwasher.  I checked the one on the table next to us, and it was the same.  Mom asked them for some help, so they took it away and brought it back half full.  Still didn't shake out.  I also chose some of the chicken made from the remains of some Chinese general.  Or maybe he was the one who figured out that it would kill the taste better if he put it in some really sweet sauce.  Tasted like candy.  Made me want some dessert.  Thankfully there was a preponderance of dessert choices.  Mom even got up and made the rounds so she could choose her own.  I settled on tiny portions of decidedly American fare: apple pie, chocolate ice cream, chocolate pudding, banana pudding, and my personal favorite of the day – sopapillas.  They didn't call them that, though.  And they would have been better with more cinnamon.  But what else is a fried dinner roll with sugar on top?  Maybe a doughnut?  I had plenty to eat, and Mom seemed happy.  She even had a cookie or two in her purse that she didn't finish.  She did ask about Golden Corral on the way out, though.

 

Hosea 4:10 says, "They will eat but not have enough …"  No, wait.  Not  that one.

                                                        

John 6:12 says, "When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, "Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted."  That's the one.

 

Father, thank you for teaching me that you are all I need.  You are enough.  Amen.


No comments: