Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 26 – “The Growl”


I woke up early today. About 5:30. I wanted to get on the road to Bay City so I could get Chris back home for Micah's birthday party. I got there around 7:40 , so I stopped at the store and got them some fruit for breakfast. Her Mom mentioned in the hospital that she could eat fruit when other things didn't sound good. I drove up to about a block away from their house and texted Chris "Good Morning." She didn't answer, so I called. She didn't answer that either, but she called back pretty quickly. I said, "Good Morning. I love you. Are you ready to come home?" She said, "Yes!" So I said, "Well, then open the door and come on," as I drove into the driveway. It was kind of fun. We waited for the hospice nurse to come and drain the lung tube before we left. Another 200 cc's. Same as yesterday. She was still unsteady on her feet, and Chris walked with her everywhere she went, which was basically from the table to the couch to the bathroom or to the bed. She is on oxygen made there in the house by a machine that she can wheel around to wherever she "lights." Chris didn't seem quite as tired as she has been, but then she just woke up. That, and she was excited about seeing the grandkids this afternoon. She told me on the way home that she really felt like she needed to go back after the party. After being there myself, I told her she needed to stay as long as she felt she had to. That's where she needs to be right now. Her sister is supposed to be coming in from Virginia Sunday or Monday. I think she'll want to stick around anyway, though. Just to be there.



The party for almost four-year-old Micah went well. It was at our house since theirs is still in disarray. I sounded like there must have been fifteen or thirty little kids all talking at once, accompanied by their Moms, also in conversation. The few Dad's there alternated between the USA World Cup Soccer match and the Astros game – with the sound turned all the way down, of course. Christina had given Kel orders that he was not to watch the game. Instead he was to lead the little kids' games. He did a pretty good job. The only time he let on that he was sneaking peaks was when the US scored their first goal. Kel threw his arms up in the air and started flying like an airplane. A quiet airplane. In spite of his attempts at silence, there was a steady drone of noise for at least two hours. I turned down my hearing aids to restaurant mode. Helped some. The most recognizable noise of the day, however, came from one of the toys he got. It was a dinosaur – tyrannosaurus rex, I think. When you pushed the button it let out a noise. Not exactly a growl. No, not at all a growl. It sounded like one of the babies was crying in the back bedroom. Strange. I think the kids all had fun.



Began tracking Tropical Storm Alex on our hurricane chart on the wall in the kitchen. It's been two years. Not long enough.



Lamentations 3:25-26 says, "The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; 26 it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."



Father, give Chris and her Dad patience as her Mom waits quietly for you. Amen.


No comments: