Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25 – “Vendor”

 

I am supposed to do a wedding this weekend.  The rehearsal is supposed to be tonight.  I have yet to hear back from the bride or groom to tell me a time for the rehearsal.  I called the hotel where it is to be held, and they told me the wedding is still on.  They were also supposed to call the bride and have her call me.  That hasn't happened yet either.  I guess I'll call the hotel one more time and see what they know.  Ah, the trials and tribulations of a vendor at a destination wedding venue.  (Doesn't that make me sound important?  Nah.  I didn't think so either.)

 

I was also going to go fishing this morning.  I even checked out my equipment.  I looked at the web cam on Galveston.com, and the surf is not too rough.  I just can't seem to get motivated to actually go.  That would mean standing up for several hours.  And using my hands and wrists a lot.  Maybe I could just go over to my uncle's bay house and toss a few casts in his canal.  Of course if I do that I would need to invite my two grandsons, since they are staying here for a few more days.  That would mean stopping at WalMart and picking up a few cheap Zebco reels that they would be able to cast.  And some bait.  Or maybe I could just read a book.  And take a nap. 

 

Update.  Just heard from the wedding coordinator.  The couple decided to use a justice of the peace.  Didn't want anyone to invite God to the wedding, I guess. 

 

Chris began her texting reports on her Mom.  Hospice came out today and drew out 300 more cc's of fluid from her lung.  She is very unsteady on her feet and has some stomach issues, so she's not eating very much.  She got on the scale for the first time in a long time and has lost some more weight.  Sounds like her Dad is very tired.  Adjusting to this whole scenario is trying on all concerned, Chris included.  The plan is for me to pick her up in the morning so she can be here for Micah's birthday party (it's at our house).  Her Mom told the nurse that Chris was leaving tomorrow, but would be back right after the party.  That wouldn't be much of a break for Chris, but I know she wants to be there, too.  We'll see.

 

Just got down to another chore on my list.  Chris noticed the other day that some of the nails in our deck are beginning to pull up.  My job was to hammer them back in.  Easy task.  I thought I'd make it into an adventure by inviting Jachin and Micah to help.  I got them each a hammer and asked if they wanted to help me smash nails.  Micah looked at me like I was just a bit crazier than usual and returned to his Lego creation.  Jachin glanced in my direction and said, "How about  we play some baseball instead?"  I told him I was doing my chores.  So he grunted approvingly and returned to his Legos.  I got the job done and saw right away that those are two smart kids.  It was hot outside.

 

And then the craziness began.  Nathan and April came over.  They were on their way to the Aquarium at Moody Gardens, but there were so many tourists that they couldn't find a parking space.  And then they realized Cailyn was asleep.  Of course she woke up not long after they got here.  And she wanted to hang out with DadDad, so they stuck around, too.  They used the opportunity to call their electricity provider and complain mightily about their outrageous bill.  Their charge was almost exactly twice what ours was for our house.  And they are in a two bedroom apartment.  April can be plenty feisty when she needs to be.  She managed to get some concessions out of them, and they did lower their rate.  But they still have to figure out why it was so high in the first place. 

 

Heb 12:28-29 says, "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, 29 for our 'God is a consuming fire.'"

 

Father, if you are a consuming fire, I should be totally absorbed in you.  Help me be better kindling.  Amen.


No comments: