Sunday, June 6, 2010

June 6 – “The Trees are Falling”

 

Well, today is our 35th wedding anniversary.  Interesting prospects for spending our day await.  I finished up the little table that I refinished for Chris.  It belonged to her grandmother that she never really knew very well in Bay City.  It also went through the flood, so it was in terrible condition.  I sanded it down, though, and the wood was really pretty.  I put a pecan stain on it that turned out to be a very rich looking brown.  When we salvaged it, she said we could use one the floor tiles to replace the top piece that crumbled into nothingness.  For that to look right, the tile has to be cut down just a bit, and that was one thing I couldn't get done.  It sits on top nicely, though.  I also ran off thumbnail sized pictures I found of the two of us – one or two from each year we have been married.  The result was a collage just about the size of the little table's top.  Maybe she can use it as a placemat or something.

 

When we got home from Mansfield last night Mom went outside to take her walk.  When she came back in she was more than a little disturbed.  She wanted to know if I knew about the tree from the abandoned house next door than was about to fall and hit the house.  I assured her that there was nothing we could do about it right then.  That was a true statement, but I was actually telling myself that.  I forced myself to wait a few minutes before getting up to check it out.  I wanted to reassure Mom by appearing calm and in complete control.  Hmm.

 

I checked out the falling tree.  And sure enough, it had actually eased over against our chain link fence and was being held up by the fence.  It wasn't the huge pine tree in their front yard.  That would mean several houses and cars were in danger.  This one was only six or eight inches in diameter, but it was taller than the house.   And it was about six inches away from our roof.  I went up on the roof for a closer look.  It was so close I could simply reach out and touch it.  And when I did that (how could I resist?  I was a guy on the roof with a tree right in front of me), It moved way too easily.  One good shove and I could have pushed it over.  Of course then it would have hit the house for sure, as well as crushed the fence and probably damaged the jet ski sitting next to our house.  I chose to wait.  Chris helped me with that choice.  She insisted we take pictures of it before it fell.  I guess to document to the insurance company or lawyers or whoever ends up getting involved in the affair. 

 

We did the picture thing and I went inside and sent emails to the police officer who appointed himself as our neighborhood go-to guy, the lady from the city code enforcement division, and the real estate lady who said she represented the new owners.  It was Saturday night at 8:30, though, so I sure didn't expect any response before Monday.  That meant I might actually have to get back up on the roof with the chain saw this afternoon and protect our property.  Chris was already picturing the worst, I'm sure.  She even said that maybe Kel could come help.  Nathan told me he was working today, so he's out of the picture.  The real estate lady then called.  Seconds after I sent the email.  She sounded horrified that the people who boarded up the front door didn't also take care of the trees.  She assured me she would call the city Monday morning.  We'll see.  Meanwhile, I'll check to see if I have gas and oil for the chain saw.

 

But that'll be after church.  And after I tell Chris Happy Anniversary.  She's awesome, you know.

 

Proverbs 18:22 says, "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord."

 

Father, I know I got a good thing when I got Chris.  It fits that she is evidence of your favor.  Thank you.  Amen.


No comments: