Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2 – “The Dream”

 

I didn't sleep so well last night.  It started out OK enough.  I took the appropriate medication and went to bed at a seemly hour.  Even fell asleep rather quickly.  I know because I didn't even finish one crossword puzzle.  I eased into the business of rest and as far as I know was doing just fine.  But then it happened.  The dream.

 

I was trapped.  Not that someone mysteriously appeared and announced in that tell-tale dreamily language, "You, my friend, are trapped."  No.  Instead it was one of those times when I just knew.  No doubt about it.  I was trapped.  Trapped in a previously unreleased episode of Shrek.

 

I can't remember the details of the plot.  I'm sure it was appropriately Shrek-ish.  Good versus evil.  What counts is what's on the inside.  Stuff like that.  The important thing was what was happening to me.  I was being hounded mercilessly over and over by that Eddie Murphy voiced donkey.  It seemed that for some reason the donkey thought I was Shrek and that I had all the answers to any question that he might have.  He followed me around everywhere. 

 

Now to the climax of the dream.  Somehow I had managed to dodge that donkey and get a few precious moments to myself.  But he was still looking for me.  I could hear his voice calling over and over, "Shrek!  Shrek!  Where are you Shrek?  Come on out here, Boy!  Shrek!"  Glancing around I took in my surroundings.  I was in hiding behind a building of some kind.  The donkey voice was somewhere in the front.  I cautiously peeked around the corner, and he saw me.  "Shrek!  There you are, Boy!"  I jerked back behind the building, frantically trying to decide what to do, where to hide.

 

That's when I realized that I was … a moose.  That's right.  A full grown Bullwinkle type with huge horns and all.  And I further realized that moose (or mooses?  Or meece?) are not really all that bright.  The only thing I could think of to do was (drumroll here) … eat some grass.  Not sure what I hoped that would accomplish, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.  Didn't help, though.  The Eddie-donkey was on me in a flash, "Shrek!  Shrek!  Listen to me Shrek!"

 

I don't know if it was all the racket or what, but the grass really wasn't setting well with me.  I started to cough and gasp and gag.  And the voice continued on and on and on … "Shrek!  Shrek!  Kelley!  Kelley!  Wake up.  You need to roll over."

 

Now wait a minute.  What was that?  I groggily came to with Chris shaking me and telling me to turn over.  She said I was snoring that bad kind of snore where I stop breathing and then gag for breath.  I groaned and stumbled into the bathroom.  Chris said she woke up every 30 minutes after that to make sure I was still breathing.  Hey, I was fine.  Just a mild mannered moose minding his own business.

 

So here's to all you dream interpreters out there.  Was it a function of the salad I had for lunch (not-so-tasty grass)?  Is there some deep spiritual meaning there that will only be revealed when I fast for 30 days and nights?  Hmm.

 

Psalms 79:9 says, "Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name's sake."

 

Father, if you want to communicate with me through dreams or people or your Book, I am ready.  But please make the message clear.  I'm not so good at reading between the lines.  Amen.


No comments: