Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 19 – “So that’s what the smell is?”

Quiet day planned at the Vaughan household today.  Chris slept until sometime past 8:00.  She was exhausted.  She finally did her walk-through of the yard.  The back flower bed being cleared was a real plus for her.  She noticed it right away and said thanks.  Then we walked to the front.  That flower bed being cleared kind of pushed her over the top. All her weariness and emotions snuck up on her and welled up in a few tears.  She said, "I didn't realize just how tired I was." 

 

We cut coupons and prepared for our outing to WalMart to get groceries.  That's kind of our reboot scenario.  Ever since we first got married we have enjoyed shopping for groceries together.  When we had kids at home, they came along, too, and had to follow the inevitable admonition, "Keep your hand on the basket."  Now I just like to look for one of the longest lines and try to start up a conversation with my fellow waiters.  Today's wait partner was a lady down here from Little Rock.  She said she was piggy-backing on her daughter's vacation spot.  When she found out we were locals, she wanted to know what all that stuff was growing on the beach.  I haven't had a chance to explain seaweed in a long time.  I told her it wasn't growing, but had washed up on the shore.  And it was a good thing because it helped build up the dunes.  The only problem is that it stinks.  A look of understanding exploded onto her face, and she exclaimed, "So that's what the smell is?"  Oh, yes.  That's what the smell is.

 

This afternoon I am scheduled to go to the Astros game with Kel, Jachin and Micah.  It starts at 6:00, but Kel wants to leave at 3.  I don't know which inspiration he is following.  On the one hand, he says he wants to give the boys time to play at the different fun spots at the stadium.  On the other hand, the first 10,000 people to enter the stadium get Nolan Ryan bobbleheads in honor of the Astros playing the Texas Rangers.  Kel's favorite baseball player of all time has always been Nolan Ryan.  Quite a strong draw for the little boy in him. 

 

Chris checked on her Mom around 11.  Sounded like things were going as smoothly as could be expected.  The doctors had no plans for any particular tests today.  They wanted her to just relax as much as she could and give the antibiotics time to attack the infection.  Her sisters are planning to come for a visit this afternoon, so Chris plans to return tomorrow after church.  Of course that depends on what happens in the meantime, so we are still on pins and needles – ready to hop back in the car and get to Houston as soon as we can.

 

In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

 

Father, in all my search for your word on peace, how did it take me so long to remember this one?  I come to you.  Help me to receive the rest you offer. And grant it to Chris and her Mom as well.  Amen.


No comments: