Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9 – “Randall’s Fried Chicken”

 

Our friend Ken came to visit us from Austin today.  He comes about once a year to see how Galveston has changed since he moved away to Alaska several years ago.  He didn't stay up there in the cold but a year or two, and he now lives in Austin.  He's the guy who built our deck that laughed in the face of Hurricane Ike when all around it was drowning in salt water and sewage.

 

I sure didn't get much sleep again last night.  It wasn't Ken's fault.  I just started coughing uncontrollably every time I lay flat.  I started out in bed, but then I had to switch to the couch.  I thought that was going to work.  Until I turned out the lights and started to relax.  Forget that.  I ended up in the recliner.  I think I did get a few hours rest, though. 

 

Cailyn came over for lunch while her mom went to class and did some studying.  A four hour lunch.  It would have been a lot more fun, but she and I have been fighting the same cold bug this whole week.  She was not feeling all that well.  One good thing, though.  She wanted me to hold her.  I volunteered to suffer through that. 

 

Ken and I went to Randall's, of all places, and picked up some fried chicken for supper.  Now how random is that?  But it was good.  We haven't had fried chicken in forever.  It's not on the "good for you" list.  Chris just somehow snapped today, though.  "Doesn't Randall's have a deli?  Bring home some fried chicken."  She didn't have to tell me twice.

 

Ken went with me to the Seaside Christian Academy school board meeting.  The only ones there were the executive board – the Seaside Church representatives.  We got some things done, though.  And Ken got to see a few of the folks he remembered from his Seaside past. 

 

Psalms 87:7 says, "As they make music they will sing, 'All my fountains are in you.'"

 

Father, the only fountains I want are the ones in you.  How come it's those others that keep spewing all over the place?  Amen.


No comments: