Saturday, February 6, 2010

February 6 – “The First”

 

Well, I guess it's OK for me to drive the new car now.  It has been "broken in," so to speak.  Chris went to Target this morning.  She returned to her brand new 2009 Equinox.  She carefully checked the rear view mirrors.  She turned and checked behind her.  She put the car in gear, her foot firmly on the brake.  Then she repeated the process.  Convinced all was well, she began to ease back.  Gently, ever so gently she backed her new chariot farther and farther until suddenly, she heard a crunch . She looked quickly back to see who or what snuck in behind her.  There, looming, yea, towering, in her rearview mirror was a massive, in-her-words – "White tank."  The recognition and reaction came an instant too late.  Contact was made. 

 

She pulled back into the parking space to get started on exchanging paperwork.  But the other guy had other plans.  As soon as she stepped out of the car, the opposing vehicle raced off into the wind.  Chris is ever resourceful, though.  She quickly memorized the license plate number for future reference.  She even thought to write it down.  I don't know if we'll ever get to that point, but she did it.  I was proud of her.  She was fine.  Mom was with her and she was fine.  But the brand new car had its very first ding, bump, scratch, dent.  Actually it's not bad at all.  I don't think the plastic is even worth worrying about. 

 

So … I wish I had been there.  I could have written an exciting account called "The First."  Maybe I'll write it anyway. 

 

While Chris and Mom were at Target testing out the impact power of the car, I went to a training session for using a block party trailer.  Our association of Baptist churches went together and bought it for all the churches to use.  It's one of the best ideas to ever come out of that group, even though the guy began the training session by saying, "A block party literally is a block party."  Yes.  He really said that.  I guess it must be true.

 

Psalms 37:3-4 says, "Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.   4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

 

Father, show me many ways to delight in you.  Amen.


No comments: