Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3 – “Massachusetts”

 

My rheumatologist surprised me today.  I knew from other conversations that he is a Jew, and he knows I am a pastor.  As he performed his examination he asked, "How's business?"  I answered, "There's always people."  That's the kind of thing he has said before, so no surprise there.  But then he said, "You know, you should pray for the people of Massachusetts."  I asked if he was referring to the results of the senate race, and said, "Yes.  They are about to get into a whole new world."  And that was all.  No more comments.  Back to being the doctor.  So, Massachusetts, on request of my rheumatologist, I pray for you.

 

The real surprise, though, came when he asked how long I have had the cold.  When I said since Sunday, he prescribed one of those bomb doses of antibiotics for me.  That was unexpected.  And greatly appreciated.  And gladly accepted.  I am tired of my head pounding and not being able to breathe when I go to bed.  Bring on the antibiotic bomb.

 

Oh.  The real reason I went to the rheumatologist.  Not to get antibiotics for a sinus infection.  Not to sort of discuss Massachusetts politics.  I just wanted to make sure he let me keep taking the anti-inflammatory drug he put me on.  It has worked better than anything so far.  He agreed.  In fact he was going to start weaning me off the steroids, but changed his mind on that.  He said he wants me to get over the "cold" first.  Then if I start feeling cruddy, we'll know it was related to the missing steroids and not the illness.  Makes a lot of sense.  Patience. Again.

 

Even though I've been home sick for the last few days, I have been kept in the loop about what's going on at the school.  We have enrolled several more students in the Lowers group.  Sophia seems to like being a sub for high school English.  Wish we had her every day.  My next big task is to start us on the road toward accreditation with the Texas Association of Baptist Schools.  I have a printout of their requirements, and we have some work to do.  It's great to have a goal.  We also have several grant applications that are in process.  And we have announced the beginning of a special offering drive to raise the final $30,000 to get us in the building.  More goals.  But the bottom line is the most important thing.  Christ has died.  Christ is risen.  Christ will come again. 

 

Revelation 22:20-21 says, "He who testifies to these things says, 'Yes, I am coming soon.'  Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.  21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen."

 

Father, come on.  Feel free to make our bottom line complete.  Amen.


No comments: