Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 14 – “Tough day”

 

Sunday.  What a great day for an attack by Satan.  I have been feeling pretty good lately.  Been singing the praises of the new anti-inflammatory drug I've been taking.  Been waiting for a pretty day so I could start walking again.  Then came yesterday and today.  Yesterday my joints ached again.  Not quite as bad as the worst of times, but accelerated pain nonetheless.  My knuckles were swollen some, my wrists were sore, my knees ached, and the left elbow was really barking.  Today add in a very sore lower back.  I was having trouble even getting around.  But I didn't say anything to Chris.  Hey, it was Valentine's Day.  And she was leaving again this afternoon for her Mom's.  This time she stays three days.  Mix all that in with the usual stress of preaching and greeting and counseling and sharing Jesus one on one with a new visitor, as well as dealing with the church's financial worries and fears that accompany every Seaside winter.  Tough day. 

 

Bright spots did sneak in, though.  Three new families visited for the first time.  One in particular is very interested in the church and needs Jesus.  We got in another thousand dollars toward the building.  Winston, a four year old who attends Seaside Christian Academy, was at church and shared a rousing extemporaneous rendition of the ABC Song.  Lanny spent some time sharing with a young man about spiritual things.  A visitor asked for some help remembering the new Visual Verse for today, so he could take it back to his congregation.  We got to share lunch with some of the Seaside students who are lots of fun.  We also saw Jennifer, a former Seasider who has married and just had a little tiny baby back in early December.  I mean little.  And tiny.  I think I heard them say he had gained all the way up to five pounds.  That's a miracle.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous.  The sun was out.  It was right at 60 degrees.  Chris was wishing she could spend the day outside in the garden.  Dee told me she was excited about the chance to learn about Mardi Gras at the Ash Wednesday service this Wednesday.  And Jesus is still Lord.  Christ has died.  Christ has risen.  Christ will come again.

 

Luke 24:5-6 says, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen!"

 Father, thank you for invading my tough day and helping me to see that you are tougher still.  Amen.


No comments: