Monday, February 22, 2010

February 22 – “Good Samaritan”

 

I remembered another fun story about our great preschoolers at Seaside.  Sunday during church, the children in the nursery had a story of their own, The Good Samaritan.  Chris was careful not to focus on the robbers too much, though, with five boys.  To make it come alive for them, Chris had them act out the story, as she often does.  The oldest boy got the part of the hurt guy.  He wasn't all that excited about it, but he assumed his position on the floor.  Then came the first person who walked by.  A volunteer!  It was the oldest guy's little brother.  He casually walked past his brother and said, "I'm not gonna help you."  That apparently felt pretty good, so he turned and passed by him again.  And repeated, "I'm not gonna help you."  Now that must have been exhilarating.  Then he started marching around his brother in a circle , chanting, "I'm not gonna help you!"

 

Finally, Chris stepped in.  It was, after all, time for the next character.  This time it was one of the other younger brothers in the room.  Younger brothers seemed to enjoy "not helping" their older brothers.  I wonder why?  Anyway, he began his slow trek across the carpet.  He paused at the maimed older brother guy on the floor.  He spoke, "I'm not helping you either."

 

Chris was quick to jump in this time.  We need a Good Samaritan now.  Who wants to take care of the hurt guy?"  It was a bit of a struggle, but finally a four year old said, "I'll do it.  I'll be the Good Samaritan."  Chris encouraged him.  "OK. Good.  Go take care the poor man on the ground."  At that point the youngster took stock of his situation.  Slowly shaking his head side to side he began to move, but not in the direction of the poor injured man on the floor.  "No,"  he said.  "I'm not gonna take care of them."  Pointing to the other two boys who had been his predecessors in dramatic production, he repeated, "I'm gonna take care of them.  They should have helped.  I'm gonna beat them up for not helping."

 

Micah 7:7 says. "But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."

 

Father, give me your heart the times I feel like beating somebody up for not helping.  Amen.


No comments: