Monday, February 9, 2009

February 9 – “Fasting”

No plumbers today.

 

But we found out something.  We took our brand new wire brushes to the house and went on the attack.  Chris started trying to scrape out several iron skillets and an iron iron that were all underwater.  She said she didn't get a lot done.  My job was the Franklin stove that bravely stood its ground through the flood.  I had no idea where to start or even if it was going to be worth it.  Well, I sure found out something.  Cast iron stoves are pretty resilient creatures.  I scraped off the entire top and it actually looks good.  Then I also tried to unscrew the stovepipe top so I could get to it better.  No such luck.  One screw came off with a lot of elbow grease, but the other absolutely refuses.  I put some of that rust remover stuff everywhere I could reach, but it still didn't help.  I guess I'll let it soak in for … ever.  It does look like we can salvage it, though.  That's exciting.

 

While we were hard at work we got a call from our contractor.  He had a few questions about the windows and patio door.  He said he would call back in thirty minutes or so, and then come over.  After about an hour it was 12:20 and we were getting hungry.  Chris decided to go get us a hamburger.  In fact she even offered to bring back one for the mailman.  He politely declined.  But as she started out the door, the phone rang.  The contractor was on his way.  That was when we "decided" to fast.  Actually we didn't know it would be a fast right away.  It just kind of turned out that way.  I know there are certain rules about fasting.  It's giving up something and replacing it with something else that you have determined you want to focus on.  That sure happened.  No lunch.  Replace it with talking about our house with the contractor.  For four hours.  He and Chris went over everything at least three more times.  I sure hope we have it nailed down now.  The plumbers are supposed to be there on Wednesday or Thursday.  We'll be out of town.  Not that we need to be there.  I just thought it would be fun to be around for the grand opening of their Sycamore job.

 

As soon as we got home … well, after I ate some pizza … I emailed the Amish cabinet guy.  We are going to order the cabinets for the kitchen only.  We'll do something else for the buffet and the bar cabinets.  Speaking of something else, we found out the regular framers could build a linen closet in the bathroom and save us several hundred dollars.  Always a nice thing to hear. 

 

Isaiah 40:28-31 says, "Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

 

Father, thanks again for little victories.  They remind me of the big victories that have been and are yet to come.  Amen.


No comments: