Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19 – “Inside the walls”

 

Chris had to leave this morning for Bay City.  Her mom had another doctor's appointment in Houston, and Chris has become their unofficial chauffer.  Nathan and April and Cailyn left shortly after her.  They were heading to Corpus Christi for her grandparents' fiftieth wedding anniversary.  We're supposed to go to that, too.  But we don't plan to leave until tomorrow afternoon.  We have an appointment with the bathtub guy at 8:30 in the morning.  He's going to tell us if our tub is OK or if we need to add that purchase to our list.  At 10:00 we're supposed to pick up some prescriptions for Mom.  Then at 10:30 we have an appointment to see some furniture that someone has offered to give us.  So I guess sometime after that we'll head out.  My  brother is supposed to come pick up Mom to spend a week or so with them as soon as she calls.

 

After I taught A Seaside Christian Academy, I went by the house to check the mail.  Then I walked around looking at the new plumbing.   I am fascinated by all the stuff that's going to be inside the walls.  There was a little box in the wall for the washing machine connections.  There was also a new cleanout access on the outside of the wall for the washer.  That should make it easier to clear next time it gets stopped up.  I noticed some of that pipe insulation on the new pvc that runs near the outside walls.  Our old stuff sure didn't have that.  The gas lines had been run for the stove top.  There was a question about exactly where to put it the other day from the contractor.  It looks about centered on the wall.  That's where it looks like it should go to me.  I checked out the back yard water line.  It was still not hooked up.

 

Finally, I went up on roof to see the new holes for the hot water heater vent.  Actually, I went up there just because I could.  There's always something about the roof that appeals to the little boy in me.  Forbidden.  Dangerous.

 

While I was up there, the plumbers came back.  I saw their truck and ran to offer to move my truck out of their way.  They said they would only be a few minutes.  They were actually just checking to see if the inspector had been there yet.  Now that sounded like good news to me.  He asked about the gas line for the stovetop.  He said we should have about a 30 inch leeway – as long as it fits inside that lower cabinet we should be fine.  I asked him about the back yard line.  He said thanks for reminding him.  He just didn't have the right elbow piece yesterday.  He excused himself and went right over and fixed it up.  Then I told him I had never seen the insulation on the pipes near the wall.  He said the place pipes most often freeze is right at the elbow nearest outside wall.  Sounds like the man knows his stuff.

 

After they left I swept the floor.  I wanted it to look nice when Chris gets there in the morning.  I need to get a taller broom.  My back is sore now.

 

Hebrews 4:12-13 says, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."

 

Father, it has been enlightening to see what is usually hidden beneath our walls.  It has helped me understand how incredibly merciful you are when you see all that is hidden beneath the walls I try to put up.


No comments: