Friday, February 27, 2009

February 26 – “Happy Birthday, Kel”

 

I felt some better this morning.  At least that's what I told myself when I sat at my desk.  I had a lot to do today.  I paid some bills.  That's always enough to get you in a great mood to start the day.  The thing I really wanted to concentrate on, though, was the teaching for Sunday.  The scripture was about King Saul killing himself.  Not a very inspiring topic.  I knew it would be tough, probably depressing even.  But it took me all morning.  I remember at one point looking at the clock and it being 10:30.  The next time I looked up it was 12:30.  That meant I was in trouble.  Chris insists that I get up and move around at least once an hour.  Otherwise my back really gives me fits.  Today my back has given me fits.  She told me so.

 

After a hurried lunch I rushed over to teach at Seaside Christian Academy.  I had a hunch this one was going to be tough, too.  The scripture was Genesis 5 – a genealogy.  Woo Hoo.  On top of that, the headmaster called to let me know the kids were especially rambunctious today.  That wasn't his only message, either.  We now need two teachers – high school English and younger elementary.  He asked me to ask Kel and Christina if they were interested in the jobs.  Kel was an English major and Christina was early childhood/elementary.  They sure would be qualified.  Kel is having his wisdom teeth sawed out tomorrow, though.  I asked him, but he wasn't much of a conversationalist.  He's pretty scared.  He doesn't do well with needles.  He'd also have to keep working at Starbucks to keep their insurance.  We'll see how he feels when he comes out from under the anesthesia.

 

I went by the house after school to get the mail.  There was a truck in the driveway, so I went on in to see what was up.  It was a carpenter working on some of the final framing issues that have come up.  The thing that first struck me, though was that when I turned the engine off in the truck, I could still hear KSBJ (the Christian radio station).  Come to find out, this carpenter was not only a Christian, but I recognized him.  He had even played a softball game for Seaside a few years ago.  He pulled a muscle, so that was his only game.  I know, it sounds like he had very Seaside-like athletic abilities.  But it was great to talk to him again.  He has six kids and is doing his best to follow Jesus.  He was also doing his best to get the house ready for the AC guys and electricians.

 

Tonight we went to Kel and Christina's for Kel's 32nd birthday.  Yep.  He's old.  We had supper together (shrimp gumbo), and then some folks from their church came over for ice cream and cake.  I had fun playing with the kids.  Especially Micah and another two-year-old.  They wanted to tackle me and have me lift them up over my head, and roll them around in my arms.  Two-year-olds are great fun.  Why can't they stay that way?  Did I mention that my back is killing me?  But this part was worth it.  Ah, grandchildren.

 

Psalm 103:17 says, "But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children."

 

Proverbs 17:6 says, "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children."

 

Father, my grandkids are fulfilling their part of the bargain.  They are my pride and joy.  Help me be worthy of the respect of my children.  Amen.

 

 


No comments: