Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February 10 – “Iron oxide exacerbated …”

My own personal version of Ike-induced influenza, exacerbated I'm certain by my flagrant disregard of mask etiquette when creating tiny particles of iron oxide dust in a relatively successful attempt at reclamation of our cast iron fireplace, has resurfaced with abandon, resulting in tenderness of throat, stuffiness of nose, and achiness of body. 

 

I'm sick.  I didn't wear a mask when I scraped rust off of our fireplace.  And I'm sick.

 

We were supposed to go to Mansfield tomorrow to see our other brand new grandbaby, Caleb and his big brother Zakary (oh, yes, and their parents).  My current medical status places that trek on hold in an effort to protect them from Ike-germs. 

 

I did try to go in to teach at Seaside Christian Academy today.  In fact, I got there.  But I couldn't stop sneezing.  And my nose wouldn't stop running.  So I decided the better part of valor would be to protect the kids there.  I did go to the school board meeting tonight with Chris.  Found out a lot of the younger kids already have it – whatever it is.  I tried to be helpful at the meeting – it was a pretty stressful one - but I couldn't concentrate very well.  For one thing, I had to keep blowing my nose.  And struggling to breathe.  But the biggest problem began after we arrived.  See, right after we got there I had a phone call.  The man who lived next door to us when I was growing up – and across the street from us now – died in his sleep last night.  Walt was a great guy.  Always had a smile.  Well, more like a sly grin – like he was up to something.  And he usually was.  He was the guy who dressed up like a toilet one Halloween.  Scared me.  He has been doing poorly since Ike.  In fact his wife told me, "Ike killed him."  He's the guy who spent hours and hours after the storm cleaning his tools to try to salvage them, only to have burglars steal them all.  He was pretty shook up by that.  But she did say he died peacefully.  "It was beautiful," she said.  The funeral is Friday.  It would be a tough trip under the best of circumstances to go up on one day and return the next.  But with the funeral Friday and the possibility of spreading Ike germs all over Texas, our decision not to go was the best one.

 

Revelation 20:6 says, "Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years."

 

Father, receive Walt into your care.  And comfort his family and friends.  We'll miss him.  Amen


No comments: