Saturday, February 28, 2009

February 27 – “Alone”


Chris left pretty early this morning to take her Mom to a doctor's appointment. That means she had to drive to Bay City first, then Houston, then back to Bay City, then home. At the outset she faced a big day.



After she left, Nathan and Cailyn came out to give April a few extra minutes of sleep. We ended up watching one of those B rated horror movies from way back. Can't believe Nathan let my granddaughter watch something like that.



I fixed the leg of a sofa we picked up the other day. We broke it when we were taking it out of the truck. All I have to do now is staple the fabric back down. But we no longer have a staple gun. That meant I had to go to Home Depot and get one, right? That trip also gave me a chance to price sheetrock and insulation. Our sheetrock hangers from Arlington will be here in two weeks, so we have to be ready for them.



Next I went to the house to check the mail and see if any more work had been done. I ended up hanging out for awhile. I swept off some of the furniture and things we have in the back yard. I was going to wire brush the fireplace some more, but Nathan called his friend with the sandblaster today. Maybe he'll call back soon and take care of the rest of it for us. I met one of the AC guys today. He came in to make sure the gas lines were hooked up for the furnace. He said they have already talked to the plumbers about what they still need to do – run a drain line. He said they should be done by the time the sheetrockers get here. I sure hope so.



When the mailman finally got there, I headed out for the AT&T store. It has been so difficult to get on the internet here in Omega Bay that we decided to get an air card. It's kind of weird that I even know what one of those things is. If we hadn't gotten free use of one for a few months after the storm I wouldn't know what to do, short of making a trip to use Kel's computer every day. Speaking of Kel, he had his wisdom teeth removed today. It was a big deal surgery. They had to do some bone grafts. I went by to see him. He seemed to be doing fine, as long as he could keep his face on ice.



Tonight we agreed to babysit Cailyn. First time for Mommy to leave her alone. Problem was, they had to leave before Chris got home. That left it up to good ol' DadDad. Alone. He can handle it, right? I should have expected some sort of conspiracy when April handed her to me and she filled her diaper. And of course, they had to leave right then. Well, I've done that before, so I took care of that problem. She and I did pretty well for awhile. She wasn't supposed to need a bottle until 8:00. I figured Chris would be home by then. Nope. And then around 7:15 Cailyn was ready to eat. And she was letting me know about it. I had to hang on to Cailyn with one arm, and with the other get the frozen milk out of the fridge, thaw it under hot water (and not in the microwave – I had strict orders about that from Daddy), pour it out of a baggies into a bottle, and finally let her have it. Oh, and all the while I had to sing and talk and reassure and cuddle a very unhappy little girl. Once she drank her fill, though, she was fine. She settled right down and started back talking and cooing and looking around at her favorite model fish on the wall. And right about then her Daddy called to see how she was doing. Well, it sure felt good to be able to say, "We're doing just fine. Don't hear her crying, do you?" And speaking of feeling good, Chris got home around 8:30, and I never felt better to see her.



Proverbs 31:10-31 says, "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."



Father, thank you for my wife. And my Mom. And my daughters-in-law. And that other little woman in my life. Amen.


No comments: