Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 24 – “Almost-Mall”

 

I spent this morning working on our income tax so I can send it to our preparers.  Most of it was together already.  Not too hard to do since January through August records are mulch somewhere.  I had no idea what to include that would effectively show the amount of loss we had.  I ended up sending the contents claim list we sent to our flood insurance.  I guess they'll let me know if they need something else.  I'm glad they are the experts.

 

Chris wanted to pick up some stuff for a quilt she is making.  That meant a trip to the Almost-Mall.  That's the one across the street from the real mall.  I don't mind going to Almost-Malls.  Well, I don't mind as much as real malls.  There are never as many people.  The stores are usually easier to navigate.  You can park right out in front instead of in a parking garage or a lot space about three miles away. The other good thing about this particular Almost-Mall is that the Lifeway book store is also there.  I can always spend a good half hour or so looking at books.  After all, I lost a lot of good books in the flood.  Besides, we needed to pick up some communion bread and some anniversary cards.  As it turned out we only had time to pick up those two essentials.  We had to hurry, because I got a call to meet with some guys from Nehemiah's Vision.  They are a relief organization that has expanded services to help people build and rebuild homes.  Looks like they may be able to help out Seaside Christian Academy with framing and sheetrocking and insulation in the new building.  They may help us out at our house some, too. 

 

We went by the house today.  We were hoping to see some electricians, or at least a green tag from the plumbing inspector.  Our contractor was there.  So was the plumber.  But no electricians.  They are running a week behind.  And no green tag.  Who knows where the inspector was.  When we left the house we went by to see a house our contractor has almost finished.  Hat homeowner is moving in in a few days.  Yes, we were a bit jealous.  We were also encouraged, though.  If our house looks that good, I think we'll be very happy.

 

We went with Kel to pick up a mattress for Micah's bed.  That meant we got to have supper with them.  And the boys were happy about that.  Micah was ready with his game of choice: "Tackle me, DadDad."  Tweaked my back again in that one.  But we did settle down some.  They each went and got a book for me to read to them.  Want to have a fun read?  Get any Star Wars book and just read out loud the characters' names. 

 

Proverbs 30:5 says, "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

 

Father, forgive me for wanting to be an "Almost-Christian."  It's so much more comfortable than doing it right.  Amen.


No comments: