Sunday, February 15, 2009

February 15 – “A God-at-work day”

Today was a God-at-work kind of day.  We went to church like any other Sunday.  That kind of talk I have to stop.  With God there's just no such thing as "any other" anything.  I forget that all the time.  Then I forget to expect things to happen.  Then it seems like a surprise to me when it does happen.  Then I feel foolish … again.

 

God brought a couple of guys from Michigan.  They actually live in San Antonio and are working here.  They were driving around looking for a place to go to church and almost missed Seaside.  They were really excited to find us. 

 

And then there was the young couple who want to get married.  He's from a Catholic background and she's from a "nothing" background.  They are both believers and want to get into church so they can bring up their kids in the right way.  They'll be here every other weekend or so to work on the house they bought in Jamaica Beach.  They even brought a salad for dinner on the grounds.  They are ready to plug in when they are here.

 

One lady didn't get there until almost eleven.  She thought that's when we started.  She came on in though.  She told me after church that she would get here on time next time.  She also left a tithe check. 

 

One big ol' guy also came in late.  He sat quietly in the back and left right away.  That's a God story in the making that I hope we get to see more of. 

 

And then there was Sue.  She's been coming for awhile.  She decided after the storm that it was time for her granddaughter to be in church.  She has been here most Sundays ever since.  Today we were having a share time during the service and she wanted to know what she needed to do to join up.  Said she was ready to plug in here right now.  So we stopped right then.  I asked her about her personal relationship with Jesus, and she was happy to share about it.  We received her into the covenant community, and just as we were about to pray for her, she said, "Hey.  Maybe there's someone else who wants to join."  That's a spirit of hospitality I can't wait to spend more time getting to know.

 

After dinner on the grounds we took off for a day or two in Mansfield.  Mom has never seen Baby Caleb, and Nana and DadDad were dying to see how much he has changed in five weeks.  The trip went smoothly, and we arrived in plenty of time to romp around on the floor with Zak and watch MeeMaw hold little Caleb as he slept.

 

Psalm 9:1-2 says, "I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."

 

Father, thank you for choosing many different ways to work around us.  It keeps us on our toes.  Amen.


No comments: