Tuesday, June 30, 2020

June 30 – “Chris’ Big Day”


I know.  The title sounds like a children’s book about a cute little girl who is going on a trip to the zoo or something.  Not this time.  Yesterday was Chris’ day to have the shot in the back for pain.  Oh, and our printer chose the day to die in celebration of the event.  Woohoo.

We got to the hospital just on time.  We had to drive into Texas to the Victory Lakes branch of UTMB, although they don’t call it that anymore.  League City Branch or something like that.  We dutifully donned our masks and checked in through the emergency room as instructed, answering all the Corona Questions.  We had to walk through the entire hospital to get to the Day Surgery wing.  Not even close to the ordeal that such a walk would have been at the Galveston branch. 

We had no sooner checked in there and found a seat in the waiting room that they came out to get her.  I was disappointed that I didn’t even get a chance to pray with her.  But for the next few minutes I did get lots of assurances through my blog and on FaceBook that others were praying for her. 

Before I could get settled into “Wait Mode,” a nurse came out and instructed me to follow her.  Well, all righty then.  She led me to where Chris was all gowned up and waiting for her turn.  I didn’t waste any time that time.  We prayed together and I got my pre-surgery kiss.  This particular wait seemed long, but it was actually only fifteen minutes or so, and during that time the nurse and anesthesiologist came through to ask their own series of questions.  They finally arrived to wheel her away, and I was directed back to the waiting room.

I did my family text to update everyone, and before I even sent it I was receiving a text from the operating room (in Spanish and English) to let me know the surgery had begun.  I received two other update texts from them, which I forwarded to the family text stream.  Practice your Spanish, guys. 

Then, before I had read even one chapter of the book I brought, a text came through to indicate the surgery was over and I was to go to the entrance to the recovery room where someone would retrieve me.  She had been in surgery maybe ten minutes total.  Amazing. 

All came out well, surgery-wise.  Her right foot and left big toe were tingling and a little numb, but we were assured by at least three different people that such a result was normal and would soon pass.  The doctor stopped by in person to double check her status, and kicked her loose.  She was a little woozy getting dressed, but they wheeled her to the car and we whisked away. 

After a quick stop at Five Guys for a hamburger lupper (Not a typo.  Combination lunch and supper), we were home by 3:15.  Chris went straight to bed.  She didn’t break her 14 hour nap record, though.  Just two this time. 

So what about the pain?  I understand she should be able to tell a difference in a day or two, after the surgical soreness wears off.  We shall see …

Hebrews 12:2 says, “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Father, thank you for the successful completion of the surgery.  Please let it work.  Amen.

No comments: