Saturday, June 6, 2020

June 6 – “Happy 45th Anniversary, Chris!”


I’m not sure I can even count to 45, much less divulge any deep dark secrets of lasting 45 years in the same relationship.  I tried to remember the names of all the dogs we have had over those years.  From Gideon to Freddy.  We are not cat people.  But we did have a bird when we first got married.  Parakeet.  We named him Noah because he knocked over his water trough and caused a flood.  I can remember the names of our kids pretty well.  Kel and Nathan and that other one … the one in the middle.  Oh, yeah, Josh.  Pretty good kids.  Glad we kept them around.  And then they all got married.  Nice choices all the way around.  Christina and Christi.  It was all very confusing with all the “Chris” action.  Nathan vowed never to date a girl with that particular syllable anywhere in her name.  True to his word he found an April.  Those three young ladies began the process of teaching us how to do girls.  Well, OK.  Read here “teaching me.” 

And then came the joy of joys, those wonderfully quirky creations called grandchildren.  Now I have to remember ten more names.  Let’s see … Jachin and Zak and Micah and Caleb and Cailyn and Josiah and Noa and Luke and Ezra and AnnaGrace.  Is that ten?  Fortunately I still have a paper calendar that reminds me when birthdays occur.  Well, I also have a walking, talking calendar called Chris who can remember dates and names and even how much they all weighed when they were born.  Did I mention that she is amazing?

This lovely lady stuck with me through four or five neck surgeries (I always lose count), a chronically bad back, as well as a new knee installation.  She stuck around through Southwest Houston, Northwest Houston, inner city Houston, Fort Worth, Mansfield, Denver, and Galveston.  We lived through an apartment fire and had to start all over again after Hurricane Ike.  For someone who was warned against “those ministerial students” when she left for college, she blossomed into an incredible ministry partner and eventually an actual pastor’s wife for the last 25 years (in August). 

We managed to get in our 45th anniversary cruise to the Panama Canal shortly after her “Big” birthday cruise to Alaska.  Sounds like we are cruising pros, doesn’t it?  Well, those two are the extent of our travels on the water, but we are aficionados at land travel.  Our “day trips” that tend to extend into “week trips” have become legend, especially the ones where we know an ultimate destination, but go out of our way to experience fun sights along the way that surprise us.  In fact we can’t wait for the Corona restrictions to ease in other states.  We have a trip to North Dakota sitting in our back pocket, just raring to be released.  And the Grand Canyon.  And Pennsylvania.  And … Hawaii. 

I guess I plan to stick around in this marriage thing for the duration.  Love is a hard habit to break.  Guess that’s by design of the Designer …

Proverbs 31:1 says, “A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.”

Father, thank you for my young, Spring chicken bride.  I love her.  You did good.  Really, really good.  Amen.

No comments: