Wednesday, June 3, 2020

June 3 – “Ungrateful machine …”


I had one of those interesting computer days yesterday.  It took an inordinately long time to boot up for starters.  Never a good sign.  And once it did, and I made an attempt to open the Word program, the snail-paced loading began.  This time it never moved beyond the little screen that says “Loading.”  I tried closing down the box, but it would even do that.  Even the old faithful, “Control.  Alt.  Delete” function wouldn’t shut it down.  I finally had to reboot the entire computer.  It took a while, but I finally made it in and got started on work on the teaching for Sunday. 

Another issue that has developed with the computer involves its ability to connect with the television.  We were trying to watch the Columbus Avenue Baptist Church Family Vacation Bible School worship service.  I figured it would be easier to see if we could just screen share the live stream to our TV.  Like how I used those new-fangled words there?  “Screen share.”  “Live stream.”  I’m a veritable technology genius.  Except … I couldn’t get the function to work.  We have used it many times before, but for some reason the search function of the computer just can’t locate the television any more.  I’m doing everything like I always did, but it just isn’t there.  The only thing I can figure is that one or the other or both have taken the concept of social distancing to heart.  We watched the service on the computer by itself.  Maybe that was the issue.  The computer was feeling a little jealous and wanted some alone time with us.  As if all the time I spend on it working is not enough?  Huh.  Ungrateful machine.

Well, early morning for me today.  I’m off to meet the Bug Guy at the church.  We have groups coming in to the retreat center beginning this week, so we want it to remain bug free. 

2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.”

Father, thank you for the access we have to technology.  It really does make our work and our lives easier.  Amen.

No comments: