Tuesday, June 2, 2020

June 2 – “On bobby pins, Q-tips and a Post-Corona-Cut”


It was time to brave another appointment that had been put off for three months or so.  This time it was my hearing aid checkup.  One of them had already had a piece break off.  The same piece had done it before, so I wasn’t really worried.  That time the lady just broke off the rest of it and said to hang in there until a replacement part came in.  It was still working, so I didn’t worry about it then or now.  Fortunately, however, she happened to have the piece in stock this time.  

One of the main parts of these three month checkup exams is when she uses her monster magnifier to peer into the depths of my ear canals to see how dirty it is in there, or if I’ve been growing roaches or brain mites or anything.  As she got the machine prepared for the look-see, she commented that because of the virus, if she did see anything, she was not allowed to take it out.  Interesting.  In my best, most innocent-sounding voice, I replied, “That’s OK.  I’ll just go home and get a bobby pin and stick it in there and scrape it out.”  She just about had a heart attack.  “Nooooooo.  No.  No.  No.  Don’t you dare even think about doing that.”  About then she noticed my smile and realized I was kidding.  Gotcha.

The first ear was fine.  No gunk of any kind.  The second one apparently had a small collection of suspect matter.  Enough for her to ask, “Have you used a Q-tip in that ear?”  Again, as innocently as I could muster, I replied, “I haven’t lately, but I’ll be happy to if that’s what you recommend.”  The rant almost immediately began, “Nooo ...”  And then I stopped just as suddenly.  “You need to stop doing that to me.  Don’t ever use a Q-tip in your ear … (blah, blah, blah).”  She gave me the whole “cramming the bad stuff further down and blocking the ear drum” spiel.  I just smiled sweetly, of course. 

Upon completion of her lecture she did ask, “Have you had a haircut recently?”  I explained that I indeed had my first Post-Corona-Cut just the other day.  I told her about how my hair stylist was a member of our church.  She had watched one of our FaceBook Live broadcasts, and she had called me to set up an appointment.  Guess I looked pretty shaggy on screen.  Well, apparently some of that “shaggy” decided to hang around inside my ear.  She wasn’t worried enough to recommend using a bobby pin though.  Maybe next time …

John 15:7 says, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”

Father, please bless my hearing aid lady.  She is a lot of fun.  Amen.

No comments: