Thursday, June 11, 2020

June 11 – “Sounding very cool”


Well, when I walked outside to pick up the morning paper, I felt a cool breeze blowing from the north.  It had been raining.  In fact there was still somewhat of a sprinkle in the air.  When I got back inside I almost checked my moose calendar to see what month it was.  I did check the temperature app on my phone.  There it was eighty degrees.  Now I know that doesn’t sound very cool to the Northerners among us.  In fact we checked and saw that it was a rousing 64 in Waco.  But when the temperature the day before had been in the nineties, with a humidity factor making it feel close to one hundred, 80 feels heavenly.  And how did we celebrate such good fortune?  We took a walk.  And did our back exercises.

I filled in the middle of the day at the computer working on the teaching for Sunday.  Chris was feeling pretty spry.  She worked in the back yard, cleaning out flower beds.  Pretty boring, right?  That’s often how a workday is supposed to go.

Last night I joined Chris on our back porch swing.  We sit back there and listen for bird sounds.  Then we try to identify them when they come to visit.  A big black bird tried to set down in the grass at one point.  To his dismay, he was spotted by Freddy.  Nope.  Not in my yard you’re not.  He was back in flight before he had time to pull his wings in.  The Critter Super-Highway was not extremely active.  That’s the top bracket on our wood fence along the back and side of our property.  One hosted a lone squirrel shuffling along on his way to an acorn hunt somewhere in the neighborhood.  The other was trampled upon by a slow-moving lizard, intent on picking a fight with any other of his species who dared to challenge him to a big-throated contest.  All in  all, a quiet day on the avenues. 

Psalms 23:1-2 says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.”

Father, thank you for the great cool breeze yesterday.  It came at a great time.  Amen.

No comments: