Thursday, June 25, 2020

June 25 – “MTDG Day”


We had a MYDG - “meet the delivery guy” – Day at church yesterday.  We bought a new refrigerator and stove for the worship center kitchen two weeks ago, and the delivery date finally arrived.  “Sometime between 10:30 and 2:30” was the only directive we received, so we got there around 9:30 or so to make sure the path from the door to the kitchen was clear.

The first obstacle was the Holy Yoga class going on.  They were in the building until 10 for their class.  We stayed in the office and chatted with our awesome secretary Cathy.  Well, actually, I did peek every now and then to see some of the contortions.  And I may or may not have tried a few of them.  They do some difficult maneuvers in there.  I was invited to join the class.  Something to consider …

Once they left we started the grueling task of cleaning out the delivery track.  In a nutshell, the delivery happened.  It didn’t bode well, though, when the fellow told me that after they removed the old appliances they would “give you a while to clean under there.”  I’m afraid he understands my wife all too well.  Maybe all wives.  So of course that developed into using the “opportunity” to just clean out and restructure the whole kitchen.  Just one anecdote from that delightful morning activity.  As we prepared to move around some cases of sodas on the floor, we noticed a small soiled spot.  I was the one with the mop in hand, so I reached down to push things aside.  Sticky.  And not just the floor.  The entire bottom case of 35 Sprites felt sticky.  We moved away the other cases and reached for the offending Sprite collection.  It wouldn’t budge.  I finally tore open the case and started to hand individual cans to Chris.  But as I pulled the cans out one by one, they seemed lighter than I expected.  And the further along I got, the lighter they got, until it became frightfully apparent that the cans were empty.  And the ones that weren’t completely empty had developed tiny, microscopic leaks in them.  When I picked up the cans, they would spew at me through pinpoint sized holes.  It was frightening.  Chris was going to rinse off in the sink some of the full ones, but as she put them down, she somehow released the spewage.  We finally had to throw away the entire case.  And then do some heavy-duty mopping.  All in all though, the kitchen looks great now.  Three huge bags of trash, a broken storage cart, and a big box stuffed full of more trash.  But the appliances are in and the kitchen is ready to go for whenever we can get back into the building. 

Romans 16:19 says, “Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.”

Father, I want to be in that “wise” category.  Help me to be obedient so I can get there.  Amen.

No comments: