Wednesday, January 1, 2020

January 1 – “Getting started"


And so the old year passes.  And just as “so” does the New Year arise.  Welcome 2020.

We spent our last 2019 morning in great anticipation.  Josh and his crew were coming in so we could finally have our family Christmas experience.  Originally scheduled for around 10 or so, they finally made it closer to noon.  No problem there.  We had some lunch and settled in to the process of enjoying some GP time.  That would be “GrandParenting” time, of course.

Part of my free time was spent “helping” Handyman Josh install our new doorbell and camera system.  Chris got it for Christmas.  Can’t beat getting a brand new toy and finally getting to play with it.  The bad part of this one that I can see is the fact that it all runs on batteries.  That means constantly changing them.  The system does offer a battery charger, though.  Guess that’ll be appearing in my stocking before next December.

And the biggest surprise of the afternoon?  Zak and Caleb took me and Chris to the movies.  Actually Josh was going to join us, but he ended up fortifying Christi’s position in the theater next door.  They watched none other than Frozen 2.  We watched Star Wars.  Finally.  I guess it’s still too early to talk much about it.  We decided in the parking lot that we would have to watch what we say until dear old Dad gets a chance to see it.  It was pretty fun.  I enjoyed it on several levels, but my favorites were the remnants and cry-backs to the older movies.  Enough said for now.

We stayed up watching University of Texas football and Mandalorian until just before eleven p.m.  That would be midnight in New York City.  We switched the channel over to watch the ball drop.  As the countdown reached 12 seconds, I made everybody still awake (that would be me, Chris, Josh, Zak, and Caleb) stand up.  At three seconds I made everyone lift his left leg in the air.  That’s how we stood when the count reached zero.  And now we can all say …”We greeted the new year and the new decade “on the right foot”!

Isaiah 43:19 says, “See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.”

Father, thank you for one more day … one more year … one more decade.  Amen.

No comments: