Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 9 – “Neighborhood excitement”


We started off our day with a walk again.  Gotta get these old legs in shape again for the Panama excursion coming up in just about ten days now. 

Speaking of the cruise, I’m trying to double up and get done now on work stuff that has to happen while we are on the cruise.  Lots of work now for a real shot at relaxing later. 

Chris has spent a lot of time lately working on a quilt.  It’ll take her lots longer than ten days to finish, but it sure is looking good.

I had a wedding rehearsal yesterday afternoon.  One of our fire fighters is getting married at Garten Verein.  Really nice venue.  Well, except for the fact that they apparently told the bride and groom that a sound system was available to them.  Then yesterday they were informed that no such system exists.  Well, no such system that works, anyway.  Oops.  But one of the groom’s buddies headed right out to Best Buy to get something to make it work.  He also connected with another fire fighter who has a system of his own.  Now he has a back-up system as well.  That’s one of those unexpected little wedding glitches that he can check off the list.

Last night Chris went up to the church to watch a movie with some of the ladies in the Ladies Bible study.  She missed out on some neighborhood excitement.  Just as I heard some sirens outside – and really close – I saw on my phone app that a fire call was just sent out to the house just three doors down from us.  We don’t know that family, but, hey, neighbors are neighbors, right?  I slipped on my fire department jacket and headed out to check in with the guys on engine four.  Turns out the baby in the house wasn’t breathing right and seemed to be turning blue.  Certainly cause for a bit of parental panic.  But all was well once the fire department and paramedics arrived.  The baby was breathing fine and I even heard him screaming from my perch across the street.  The fire fighters all just wanted to know how Nathan was doing at his new job.  He is missed, for sure.  I’m not sure why this call took no less than three police cars responding hot as well, though …

John 15:12 says, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.”

Father, watch over that little baby and his parents in the days to come.  Ease his breathing so he can grow to know you.  Amen.


No comments: