Saturday, January 11, 2020

January 11 – “Creative communion”


We made a high-level reconnaissance venture into Texas yesterday.  Well, not so much doing reconnaissance as carrying out specific missions.  The clock is running down on our trip to Panama, so some things have to get done this week.  This week …

First stop was Dick’s Sporting Goods.  My brother and sister-in-law gave us a gift card for Christmas, and it came at the perfect time to get a new pair of Nikes for the journey.  The ones I wear to walk in are wearing noticeably thin.  And as it turned out, the store had the style I can wear in my size.  That hasn’t happened in a while.  But task number one … check.

Next we went to Mardel’s Christian Store.  There we had to pick up some communion bread for church.  Oh, and some birthday and anniversary cards for that ministry as well.  With Lifeway closing we are trying to get established there.  They reminded me that if I bring them a filled out copy of the “form available at the Texas Comptroller’s website,” then we wouldn’t have to fill out a tax exempt form every time we come in.  When we got home I downloaded one of those forms.  It is essentially the exact same one we filled out in the store.  I’m not sure what makes me bringing the same form in with me so different, but I’m willing to try it.  Of course I have no idea when will be the next time we will be on the Mainland at that store.  Hope I remember the all-important form …

By that time it was near noon, and there was a Luby’s just across the parking lot. So we HAD to go there for some lunch.  Kind of a law, isn’t it?  Chris had her perpetual order of liver and onions.  I went for the chicken spaghetti.  Good stuff all around. 

Next we went to the Rehab hospital to visit with Mrs. Betty.  She was not doing too well at her granddaughter’s house.  She has had a few falls.  So she is back in to get her some physical and occupational therapy.  Her daughter and son are trying to get her house fixed up enough for her to go back home – with someone living with her, of course.  Very sweet lady …

Our final stop was back on the Island.  WalMart.  Where else?  We needed some grape juice for church.  And some of that specialty bread.  Stocking up for communion again.  Creative communion.  No other clues.  Just … see you tomorrow. 

John 5:24 says, “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.”

Father, be with Mrs. Betty.  Reach down into her confusion and pain and bring her peace.  Amen.

No comments: