Sunday, January 5, 2020

January 5 – “Tradition is hard work”


Well, here’s a really short journal entry for you.  And why would that be?  I can sure “feel it in my bones,” so to speak.  If, of course, that phrase can be taken to mean that I am pretty sore all over.  So if I am aching as a result of an obviously busy day of some form of manual labor, then why wouldn’t it take long to describe?

Well, that’s a simple answer.  We took down Christmas decorations.  Boxes and boxes of Christmas decorations.  Lights from the tree.  Icicle lights from the eaves of the house.  An array of ornaments from the tree.  An entire collection of nativity scenes – or crèches if you prefer.  Garland.  Wreaths.  Santas and Mrs. Clauses.  The Precious Moments yard decoration.  Stockings that had been hung by the chimney with care.  Stuffed Christmas bears.  Two trees.  Assorted candles.  And even Christmas Family Feud posters.  All found their places in boxes or stashed in appropriate hidden niches, waiting for their return next year.  What can I say?  My wife loves Christmas.  I think it’s pretty special, too. 

Now all that by itself wouldn’t have been so hard.  Certainly not difficult enough the warrant a collection of sore muscles this morning.  Nope.  That exertion came when we (that would be Chris and myself) managed to haul all those boxes up into the attic.  It was a sight to see, I’m sure.  I stationed myself upstairs as Chris did her best to push and shove each box high enough up the stairs for me to grab the other end and pull it the rest of the way.  Then I found spots for each one to reside until next we turn our grandkids loose to drag them all down for another Christmas extravaganza. 

Sigh.  Tradition is hard work sometimes …
                                    
Isaiah 40:31 says, “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.”

Father, thank you for traditions, even the ones that live in boxes up in the attic from one year to the next, just waiting to explode out and spew joy again.  Amen.


No comments: