Sunday, June 30, 2019

June 30 – “Back home: Day One”


Nope.  No song lyrics today.  Camp is over.  Sort of.  Well, we still had some chores related to children’s camp yesterday.  For one thing, we had to empty out the suitcases and release the dirty clothes.  I had to spend a few hours wading through the paperwork so I could get it all filed properly.  Some went into my camp file and some goes to the financial secretary to close out that end of things.  I also had to type up the “I’m a Nut at Kids Camp 2019” song so I can give a copy to each kid when I see them again.  I know two of them are heading to Girl Scout camp, so it may be a while for them.  Sierra is one of the scout camp goers.  She wanted me to sing the entire song at church today before she realized she wouldn’t be there.  Then she switched to encouraging me to record it.  Sweet girl. 

Our second big camp-related task was to get the suburban we rented back to the rental place.  That is in South Houston, so it’s definitely a trip.  I came to a stopping place around lunch time, so we grabbed a bite to eat and headed out.  I drove the suburban and Chris followed.  There was less traffic than we anticipated, so the drive up there was relatively uneventful.  Well, except for the near-miss Chris told me she had.  A truck was determined to get to the freeway, so he apparently closed his eyes and gunned it.  Everyone managed to avoid him, but it was a close one.  All was well with the return, so we headed back to town.  Our intention was to swing by and see Mrs. Betty in the rehab facility she is staying in.  However, as we traveled down Highway 3, a major thunderstorm erupted.  Rain was pouring down so hard we couldn’t drive over 30 miles per hour.  Then the hail made its appearance.  We checked the radar and it looked like this one was here to stay for a long while, so we decided to creep on home.  Didn’t even make our required return home stop at WalMart.  That may happen today.  We are pretty low on supplies around here.  I also couldn’t mow the grass.  (Read here, “finger snap” and sarcastic shake of the head). 

We finished out the day with a dinner of salad topped with leftover chicken strips from our camp trip Whataburger stop.  Oh, and an Astros game on TV.  Welcome home …

Proverbs 13:20 says, “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.”

Father, thank you for your protection out in that stormy weather yesterday.  It is good to be home.  Amen.

No comments: