Monday, June 17, 2019

June 17 – “A Vaughan Family Fathers’ Day”


I received a great Father’s Day text from my youngest so to start the day.  Cailyn was playing in a softball tournament in Spring, so they were gone for the day.

We stopped to get donuts on the way to church as usual.  But something happened there that really surprised me.  I got the last of the glazed donuts.  In fact I had to mix one of our dozens with little baby cinnamon rolls and two sugary donuts.  The odd part was that they didn’t offer to make some fresh like they usually do.  They even told the lady behind me that they had no glazed … period.  Guess they were running way behind or something.

We had a really big day at church attendance-wise.  Seventy plus.  Lots of Daddy visitors.  One was a pastor and his family from Wyoming in town to celebrate his wife’s parents’ 50th wedding anniversary.  There was another family from El Paso, along with the usual weekend crowd from Houston and its environs.  Jim had all the Littles come to the front and join the praise team in singing “This Little Light of Mine.”  After church a 70 year old guy stopped me to say he hasn’t sung that song in 60 years.  Sounds like a remarkably sweet memory, doesn’t it?  Well, he hastened to explain that he actually remembered the last time he sang the song 60 years before.  He was ten years old, and he remembered his Sunday School teacher’s name who led them in singing as they sat in those little wooden chairs.  Thanks for the memories, Jim.

My oldest son and his family were waiting for us at the house when we got home after dinner on the grounds.  They came over to watch the Astros game – er – I mean to spend Fathers’ Day with us.  The Astros didn’t have such a good game, but it was good to have the company.  We ended up grilling some burgers and hot dogs after the game.

Nathan called on his way home from the tournament.  Cailyn’s team lost their last game 8-7.  So close.  He said he wanted to at least say Happy Father’s Day and hear my voice.  He was not practicing being romantic or anything.  I’m pretty sure he was just making sure I’m not dead yet.  While I was talking to him I got a text from his lovely wife April wishing me a Happy Fathers’ Day as well.

My middle son called later in the afternoon before his own Fathers’ Day outing in the park.  Luke was ready to play some baseball, then soccer.  The older two were probably down for some basketball.  They were engrossed in basketball video game, so they could transfer the energy to real life.  AnnaGrace would be happy to be alive and around her Daddy.  It sounded like Josh had an active afternoon ahead.

Oh, I forgot to mention my Fathers’ Day gift from Noa.  She drew me a picture.  Pretty good, actually.  Stick figures of me and her.  Mine had a beard, of course.  We were standing next to a barn “on a farm,” as she informed me.  I could tell that right away because of the cow next to the barn (udders and all).  I also recognized the yellow straw strewn about the ground and the blue in the sky.  It has made its way to the friendly confines of the fridge door.  Well done, Noa. 

Luke 11:13 says, “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.”

Father, thank you for those three boys of mine who made me a Dad.  And for those kids of theirs who kept the legacy going.  Keep them all in your hands.  Amen.

No comments: