Sunday, March 9, 2014

March 9 – “High tech chariot”

And speaking of rides home …

Obviously this is a continuation from yesterday, so hang in there.  And speaking of rides home, we had gone to the hospital in Uncle Jerry’s car, because he insisted that he could drive.  That meant I had to drive his car back.  Not a problem, right?  I’m the guy who drove ratty old dump trucks just out of high school.  I can drive anything.  Well, I could tell right away that we haven’t bought a new car in about five years. 

First off, I felt like I had fallen into the back seat when I sat down.  Jerry is not that much taller than me, but this was his comfort zone.  I guess he enjoyed the sports car feel.  I couldn’t even see over the dashboard, though.  So I started searching for the lever or button or something to move the seat up closer to the pedals.  No lever in the front of the seat where ours is.  Ah, yes, some buttons on the side of the seat.  Let’s try them.  Nope, that lifts my legs.  Nope, that one pushes in my lower back.  Lumbar support.  Nope, that one pushes my upper back forward.  No more buttons.  So I returned to the upper back one and got it adjusted far enough so I could at least see out.  Then there was the steering wheel.  It was set so low that it touched my legs.  At least that adjust lever was under the steering column where it should have been.  Finally I could see, but there was no place to put the key.  Wait.  There was a button that said Start/stop.  High tech stuff here. 

I put the car in reverse and a TV screen popped on.  Well, not exactly a TV screen.  It was a camera showing me what was coming up behind me.  Now this could be fun.  Maybe I could drive around the neighborhood backwards if I ever got out of this place.  I put it in drive and immediately noticed another unfamiliar flicker just under the rear view mirror.  It was one yet another TV screen – actually one of those Garmin things –- and the map had become active showing me where I was.  Now that’s helpful.  If I got lost between the hospital and home I could at least describe my whereabouts to potential rescuers. 

I made my way out of the parking garage and onto the road home.  For a brief instant I thought about turning on the radio, but I had no idea which button controlled it.  Better not take a chance and accidentally push the seat eject button.  I’m pretty sure it must have had one.  I finally made it home, but that thing will remain parked until I have to go back to pick him up. 

Psalms 45:2 says, “In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds.”

Father, I’d just as soon leave those majestic rides up to you.  You can handle way better than I can.  Amen.

No comments: