Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24 – “eh”

Yesterday was a day for visitors from afar at Seaside.  Oh, we have had some from farther away, but it’s not often we get two Canadian families at the same time.  One of them was from near one of the big cities like Toronto, I think.  The other one, though, was from an area that they described as out in the middle of nowhere.  I’m pretty sure they used the word “Territories” when they were describing it.  The wife also was careful to point out that they are on the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska.  She couldn’t remember the longitude marker.  Really frustrated her, too.  I think she probably studied some geography before they left for vacation just so she could explain that to people.  Apparently the closest area of civilization to them is Edmonton, Alberta.  That is an hour and a half drive south of where they live.  She seems to really like it up there.  They told me some folks come for a year or two, then move right on.  Others end up staying for a lifetime.  She wanted to be one of the latter.  At that the husband piped in.  “Nope.  Five years.  Then we’re gone.”  Sounds like a bit of an issue there.  He doesn’t really like how cold it gets there.  He tried to tell me, but kept getting confused trying to translate Celcius into Farenheit.  I assured him that I got the picture.  Cold is cold.  After all, this is Galveston where we break out the winter coats when it hits fifty … That would be Farenheit.  Speaking of which, that’s the temperature outside right now – fifty.  And I put on my coat when I went out to get the newspaper.  If nothing else I am true to my word. 

Good folks, those Canadians.  Really loved Jesus and got into worship.  We talked about how great it was to find folks who love Jesus wherever we go in the world.  They really felt like they “fit in” with the people at Seaside.  Kind of like visiting family.  Oh, and she even said “eh” a time or two.  Made my morning.

Ephesians 3:14-15 says, “For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name.”

Father, thank you for making such a big, spread-out family and letting me be a part of it.  Amen.

No comments: