Thursday, March 27, 2014

March 27 – “One more day and one thing at a time”

I didn’t get up to the hospital yesterday to see Uncle Jerry, but a text from Kristen said he was about the same.  I’ll check back again today.  I did some more work on the sermon and began putting together the Bible study that happens here at the house tonight.  Didn’t even get half way finished, though.  That will have to be a priority for right before and after water therapy. 

About 9:15 I realized that it was Wednesday and Jennifer would be coming over to care for Mom.  She has been doing a lot of the continual moaning and groaning and high-pitched talking that borders on a whine.  That would be Mom, not Jennifer.  Chris really needs a break.  Who am I kidding?  We both do.  She handles those things so much better than I ever could. 

I had such high hopes for planning fun stuff to do on our Wednesdays together.  Not much success on that front as yet.  We had to take the truck in for its annual inspection sticker as well as an oil change and the yearly air conditioning charge-up.  Then we went to Target and Payless Shoe Store in search of some sandals for Chris.  No luck yet.  We didn’t go to Shrimp and Stuff for lunch, though.  Decided we didn’t want to get tired of it.  Instead we switched to Queen’s Barbeque.  Always a fine alternative. Our drive out to East Beach didn’t get us far.  Police roadblock on the east side of Cherry Hill was turning everyone back because of the oil spill cleanup, I suppose.  We turned around at Beachtown and went the opposite direction instead.  I had received an email from Laura asking me to check out the church mail when I got a chance, so we did that.  And finally we went to … yes, of course … WalMart.  Hey, we were out of dog food, and you have to keep the critters happy.  We got the groceries put away just in time to go pick up Cailyn at school, and she joined us for the ride back to pick up the truck. 

While we were doing the running around, I also got a call that Fred Escudier, my sister-in-law’s father, died.  Sue said he had told her a while back that he would like for me to officiate at the funeral.  Quite an honor for me.  It will be held Saturday at 2 p.m.  I’ll pull some stuff to get started on that service today.  Saturday promises to be one of those days.  Cailyn’s school carnival is that day.  There is also another funeral – the father of one of my basketball players.  And the neighborhood is having a bunch of trees planted on Saturday.  Our house (actually the vacant lot next door) is the staging area, so we have a table in our garage and some snacks for the workers here at the house.  It will take some juggling, but we’ll get done what we can.  When it all adds up, that was a pretty exhausting day.  But it sure didn’t feel like I got enough done.  Oh, well.  Here’s to one more day and one thing at a time.  Deep breath.  Aaand … go.

Colossians 3:15 says, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.”

Father, could you gently lower some of your peace around us?  I can name a few folks who really need it: Chris, Jerry, Kristen, Mom … I could go on all day, I guess.  We need you.  Amen.

No comments: