Monday, March 17, 2014

March 17 – “Almost real fireman”

As is often the case, I was the only one at church early yesterday.  And by “early” I mean about ten minutes until our alleged “start time.”  Gotta love Island Time.  A new-to-the-neighborhood visitor arrived with her five-year-old daughter.  The Mom asked about church and Sunday School times, and soon the conversation moved to the typical questions you might expect from the new person on the block.  They live in Jamaica Beach, so she wanted to know what I thought about the schools.  My take included mention of the fact that my granddaughter lives in Jamaica Beach as well.  I let her know that Cailyn goes to Oppe Elementary, her Mom is a nurse and her Dad is a fire fighter.  The little girl’s eyes lit up immediately, and I supposed she was glad to hear about another little girl her own age.  She whispered something to her Mom.  Mom chuckled and told me what the excitement was all about.  Seems the little girl was a bit star struck at the possibility that someday she might get to meet a “real fire fighter.”  Taking advantage of the moment, I told her, “The fire fighter guy might even be in church today if he didn’t have to work.”  The excitement level dramatically increased. 

Sensing the opportunity, I told her, “You know, if he is not here today, I am the chaplain of the fire department here in Galveston.  Not that that would make any difference, because I don’t have to run into burning buildings.  But I do have a uniform shirt and a cap.”  It was evident that the little one had no idea what a chaplain was, but her Mom briefly explained that I worked with the firemen.  Again, the excitement level increased as the new information sunk in.  The little girl’s eyes met mine, and that look of awe had just begun to appear on her face when her Mom added, “Just think.  You met an ‘almost real fireman’ today.”  Almost real fireman.  Let me add that to my resume. 

Philippians 2:9-11 says, “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Father, thank you that we don’t have to rely on making a “real” name for ourselves.  Yours is the only name that matters.  Amen.

No comments: