Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March 5 – “Nah, too much …”

I had one of those very strange wake-up calls this morning.  Around five o’clock I was awakened by a female voice very distinctly calling out my name, “Kelley.”  It didn’t sound panicked or even particularly urgent, but it was quite clear.  I sat up in bed and checked the clock.  Force of habit there.  I listened carefully for the call to come again.  It didn’t sound like Chris or Mom, but that was, of course, my assumption.  There is no one else living here at the moment, other than the dogs, and their voices are much deeper than the one I heard.  Not detecting a follow-up, I got out of bed and walked down to Mom’s room to check on her.  She was definitely there, and she was making noise, but it could better be described as softly moaning.  Chris was dozing in our spare bedroom.  She often goes in there after waking up in the middle of the night to help Mom to the bathroom.  It is right across the hall from Mom, so she can better keep an eye on her.  She also tries to keep me from waking up so I can get some sleep at night, especially on nights before I have to teach at church.  I debated just staying up and getting some work done, but I do have the Ash Wednesday service at church tonight, so I returned to bed, still puzzled. 

Chris and I have made a commitment that whenever we dream about someone and can remember them when we wake up, we will pray for that person.  But who do you pray for in this instance?  It was my name I heard, so do I pray for me?  I have no idea whose voice it was, but I guess I could pray for the owner of the voice.  After struggling with that issue for a few minutes, I finally settled on a different tactic.  Borrowed it from a little guy I read about in the Bible one time.  I rolled over onto my side, took a deep breath, and said, “OK, Lord.  If you’re talking to me, here I am.”  Next thing I knew it was right at seven o’clock.  Not at all sure what any of this means.  Maybe there was an alien trying to communicate with me across the stretches of space.  Nah, too much Star Wars last weekend with Zak and Caleb.  Maybe it was a being from another dimension struggling to cross the vortex barrier.  Nah, too much Dr. Who.  Maybe there was a mysterious intruder in the house and she was whispering my name into her communications device.  Nah, too much Castle.  Maybe it was a garbled communication from my inner self, trying to escape from my subconscious and reveal a long-lost memory that will serve to radically alter my life forever.  Nah, too much psychological mumbo-jumbo.  Maybe it was a cry from my youth, simply reminding me what my name is so I don’t forget who I am.  Now that makes a lot of sense.  Maybe there was a dream, and I just can’t remember the rest of it.  Certainly possible.  Maybe God just wanted to double check and see if I was still willing to hear from him.  Probable.  Maybe it was …. Maybe it …. Maybe … zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 Samuel 3:10 says, “The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’  Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’”

Father, feel free to wake me anytime.  I’m doing my best to listen.  Amen.

No comments: