Tuesday, March 25, 2014

March 25 – “Uncle Jerry update”

Well, Uncle Jerry is back in the hospital, and frankly he really doesn’t look so good this time.  He didn’t call me for a ride to the hospital this time.  It was on Sunday night, so I guess he might have thought I had something to do at church.  One of his good neighbors took care of it, though.  They did call the paramedics.  His eye swelled shut again, and that has scared him each time it has happened.  He was also in quite a bit of pain.  In spite of that, he still didn’t really want to go to the hospital.  He wanted to maintain his tough old bird status.  He is a guy, after all.  The paramedic, however, was a friend of Nathan’s, so she called him from Jerry’s house.  She gave him a quick update on the situation, and Nathan asked for her opinion on whether he should head for the hospital.  She highly recommended it, so Nathan asked her to give the phone to Jerry.  He encouraged him to follow the paramedic’s orders and go on in.  That word from Nathan was all it took.  He agreed to go, but insisted that his neighbor be allowed to drive him there rather than ride in the ambulance.  There’s that guy thing again.  Gotta negotiate some modicum of control.  Nathan called me later on and filled me in on what was happening. 

After a full morning of work (my typical Monday) and a lunch meeting, I hadn’t heard any more from Jerry.  I stopped by his house to see if by chance he was there, but all I found was his new cell phone next to his bed.  Jerry never goes anywhere without his phone, so I picked it up along with his charger and headed for UTMB.  I stopped by the front desk to inquire about his room from the good folks who work there.  And when they said his room number I knew this visit was considerably more serious than the others had been.  The number was a room in the medical ICU department.  They let me right in since there was no one else with him.  He appeared to be asleep, but he made no response when I tried to wake him.  The only medication he was receiving was an antibiotic, so the lack of response wasn’t from that.  I confirmed that with one of the residents who came in to check on him.  He told me they were waiting on two things. 
1. The infectious disease team was coming to check him out (which explained the gown and glove procedure everyone - except me - was following).  That team did come by and after their exam they concluded that the problem most likely was not related to any infectious disease. 
2.  An extensive MRI was scheduled to get a different picture of the “changes” they had seen in the CT scans taken in the emergency room when he arrived.  That MRI would take at least two and a half hours to complete, so they had to wait their turn to begin.  As it turned out, they still had not taken him for that by the time I left.  I did get notice later that the MRI had begun, so the results should be ready some time today.

While I was there a priest came by to anoint him with oil and say some prayers over him, so together we gathered around his bed and did our best to follow the scripture in James about prayer and anointing.  It was a good experience for me, and Jerry certainly would have appreciated it as well.  I’ll have to remember to let his kids know about it when they get here.  I think it will be encouraging to them.  The nursing staff and doctors assigned to work with him in the ICU were all very helpful and didn’t mind patiently explaining things.  They were hesitant to come out and say a diagnosis, but from what I could put together and voice to them on my own, it sounded like they are leaning toward a series of stroke events.  It fits with his symptoms, like his severe headaches, as well as his history of blood clots.  One of his daughters is making her way here as fast as she can from the Washington, DC area.  She should arrive by 11:30 this morning if the snow up there will hold off.  I really appreciate all the prayers and words of encouragement.  Keep em coming.

Psalms 23:1-3 says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.”

Father, Uncle Jerry could use some of those quiet waters about now.  So could his family.  Amen.

No comments: