Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 16 – “Go do something”

I heard a song on the car radio the other day that really struck me as quite powerful.  I think the name of it was “Do Something” by Matthew West.  Could be wrong on that one, but the song was good nevertheless.  The line that caught my attention?  He was talking about a guy angrily shaking his fist into the air at God and screaming, “Why don’t you do something?”  And God answers something like, “I did.  I created you.  Go do something.”  That’s some good stuff.

Cailyn came over just because she missed us.  Yes.  We are that awesome.  She stayed with us for a few hours while her parents ran some errands.  While she was here, she sat next to Mom and joined her in looking at some pictures we have arranged in a book for Mom.  Over the last week or so Mom has been quite verbal and communicative, but it’s like she has just awakened from a deep coma with absolutely no memory of her past.  And her short term memory of faces seems to be predicated on how often she encounters people.  She knows Chris well, but then she sees her most often.  All day and in most cases most of the night as well.  She usually asks me if I am Kelley, so she connects my face and name pretty well.  Oh, and she knows Betty Head.  That’s her childhood friend who still comes over about once a week for our home Bible study.  Beyond that she begins having lots of problems.  She started a notebook where she jots down people’s names and some facts about them to help jog her memory.  That’s exactly what I do at church.  Guess I come by it honestly.  So I put together a very simple little notebook with captioned pictures showing the people she sees most often, basically our kids and grandkids.  In the back I add pictures of people we might be seeing in the near future.  For example, my niece and her husband and son are staying with us over the next few days, so their picture made its way into the book.  We are supposed to see my brothers this afternoon, so I added pictures of them and their wives as well.  So, these are the photos Cailyn and Mom were perusing when I heard this exchange:

Mom: Who is Fran Vaughan?
Cailyn: She’s in our family.
Mom: I know but how does she fit in?  Where would you find her?
Cailyn: I don’t know how to get to houses.  I’m only a kid.

Well, Cailyn, you may be “only a kid,” but the patience and love you showed by sitting with your MeeMaw and looking at pictures was nothing short of phenomenal.  That’s what you call going and doing something.  I’m proud of you.

Ephesians 5:15-16 says, “Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.”

Father, thanks for the simple wisdom you instill in little children.  Help me learn from it.  Amen.

No comments: