Wednesday, March 19, 2014

March 19 – “Memories – remembering them and making them”

Well, there are some memories left deep in Mom’s brain.  A few of them have apparently tried to make their way out the last few nights.  Mom used to be a bookkeeper, and on several occasions she has revisited that occupation.  She picks up a piece of paper, or sometimes one just seems to magically appear in her hands.  The paper is one of those long skinny strips of adding machine tape.  And the problem?  It has been one of two things.  Either something is not adding up right or, as happened about 4 this morning, she just can’t seem to find the correct printout for whatever it is she is working on.  It really gets her frustrated, too.  Not to mention the frustration it causes Chris as she tries to reassure her that “it will all balance out in the end” or that “we will find the printout in the morning.”  It has been very strange. 

These kinds of episodes haven’t happened during the day yet.  That’s when she obsesses over who everyone is in her picture book and how they fit together, or when her dentist appointment will be, or what day today is, or who was someone who could trim her fingernails and put some of that polish on them.  Sometimes she does say some really random things.  Chris took her to the doctor to check out a particular pain she was having consistently in her hip.  Gotta be careful about those elderly hips.  Turns out it was tendonitis, and she got a shot to relieve it.  But while she was being examined by the nurse practitioner, she asked Chris, “Is she the one who is going to work on my fingernails?”  The nurse took it in stride and chuckled at the unexpected comment. 

Here’s a quick look at our Spring Break hosting experience for yesterday.  It was Beach Day.  Mike, the Dad, was really wanting to try out wade fishing.  That’s probably my fault.  It is my fishing style of choice, and they have heard me talk about it.  Christina brought down her kids to join them, so the Moms and kids disappeared to a part of the beach where there actually was some sand, leaving Mike and me to brave the rocks and enter the swirling waves.  Yep.  It was pretty rough, and the tide was pretty high as well.  That meant our first obstacle was slippery rocks.  And the slippery rocks won round one.  At least with me.  I slipped on the final one and baptized myself into the water.  Into the icy cold, less than sixty degree water.  It was freezing.  We were determined to give it a try, though, so I got up and headed on in.  Mike made it without too much trouble.  He’s much younger than me.  We couldn’t even make it out to the first sand bar, though, and it was so choppy we never even got a bite.  It didn’t take long and I started shivering from the cold.  Oh, the air was really nice and warm, but about the time the sun had done its warming work, another evilly cold wave would crash and destroy all the warmth, replacing it with teeth-chattering cold.  I think I lasted maybe 30 minutes before I had to pull out.  Mike immediately joined me. I’m sure he was just being nice to the old man so I wouldn’t feel bad.  I’m sure he could have stayed for hours.  After all he is from Lubbock.  It’s cold up there all the time.  He decided to move down to where the kids were playing and join them for even more ice-water fun.  Being the generous guy that I am, I volunteered to take the poles back to the house and get them rinsed off.  Of course the perks of that position included first shot at the hot shower.  But as I finished up my shower I noticed something was wrong ...  But that’s a story for another day.    

2 Peter 1:12-15 says, “So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have.  I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.  And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.”

Father, thank you for those strange things called memories.  They give us a connection to our past that can sometimes be precious.  Inscribe some good ones on Mike and Serena and Wyatt this week.  And inspire some good ones in Mom.  Maybe a balanced worksheet or the location of the printout?  Amen.

No comments: