Tuesday, November 26, 2013

November 26 – “Turkeys, Who, and New Words”

I went to WalMart yet again yesterday for what I think will be the last of the turkeys for our frying frenzy tomorrow.  I learned that the earlier you buy turkeys, the better your chances of getting one the size that you want.  Our fryers can only hold up to a fifteen pounder.  Yesterday they were restocking all the turkey bins and not a single one was under nineteen pounds.  In fact most of them were over twenty-two pounds.  I guess they figure large families will wait until the last minute.  Or maybe they plan it this way to make a few extra dollars off of the procrastinators.  Either way, it wasn’t looking good for that final turkey until I happened to walk by the poultry section where they have all the chicken parts.  And there, right in the very middle of the chickens, was a tiny section filled with turkeys.  Not Butterball, mind you, but they were just the right size.  I selected a fourteen pounder and called it good for the day.  Or for the season, I suppose.  I picked up the other things on Chris’ last minute list without too much trouble.  Except for the tiny bottle of nutmeg.  That took me and another husband to locate. 

We also found the original Doctor Who series from 1963 on Netflix.  We ended up watching all of season 1.  It was all one episode with those continued next time cliff hangers in each one.  Actually funny stuff.  Some things were strange, though, having watched some of the newer series.  This guy had a granddaughter.  I thought he was an alien.  I like the younger doctor better.  Plus there are much better graphics now.  The tiny little cardboard Tardis scene was hilarious.  Now, the preview for the next episode that begins season two was revealing.  Daleks.  Even in 1964.  And they are fighting with Winston Churchill to win World War II.  What is this world coming to?

Let me end with two of Cailyn’s best made up words lately.  She found some stickers with American flags on them, and asked Chris if she knew what they were.  Being the canny Grandmother that she is, Chris responded with a question of her own, and Cailyn answered, “Oh, Nani.  It’s the “Knighted States America.”  And there you go.  With one turn of the phrase, all U.S. citizens have been recognized by the queen of England.  I for one am proud to serve.  The other Cailyn word happened this morning before I took her to school.  She found a small bottle of something on my desk and asked me what it was.  Ever striving to be the helpful DadDad, I replied, “It’s some of that stuff you put on your hands to kill germs.”  She shook her sadly, looked at me with just a trace of pity in her eyes, and noted, “DadDad, don’t you know?  It’s called “Handsitizer.”  Ah.  Of course it is. 

Psalms 119:30 says, “I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.”

Father, again I marvel at the creativity you place in the minds of little ones.  Amen.

No comments: