Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21 – “What’s that smell?”

I just remembered that I never finished telling about that video Kel pointed me to a few days ago.  I think I was down to sharing some of the things that the guy actually said.  Here’s a few of his highlights:

Greatness is never a product of giftedness.  It is always a product of faith.
I like that one.  It takes the pressure off you while allowing you to be obedient.

Your ministry is the means God uses to sanctify you.
Gotta admit, there have been some days when it has felt like I have been getting more sanctified than I could handle.  Wouldn’t trade this ministry thing, though.  Getting to see people’s lives changed is amazing. 

You gotta know what it feels like to believe God when there is no emotional affirmation in your heart.
Ah.  This is the tough one.  I can’t count the number of days when emotional affirmation – encouragement of any kind – would have been so welcome. 

The problem with success is it seduces you into self-reliance.
I guess that is true when there are repeated successes.  Not that I have had repeated successes. 

And my personal favorite …

90% of the stuff you go through is designed to make you smell like Jesus.
That is one image I never thought to apply to my relationship with Jesus … smell.  But, hey, if you ever see me and something doesn’t smell right to you, please let me know … on so many levels. 

Genesis 8:20-22 says, “Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.  The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: ‘Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.  As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease.’”

Father, it’s kind of hard to see life with you as a deodorant, but I really do want to be so like you that people can smell it.  Amen.

No comments: