Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November 20 – “Water”

I paid ahead for another couple of months for my water therapy class.  I think I’m good to go all the way through May now.  I know it’s not technically a therapy class.  It is “officially” just water exercise, but it is certainly serving the therapy purpose for me.

I got to thinking about it last night.  Why have I responded so well to it?  What is it about this class that makes me actually want to go?  We seldom have the same instructor, so I know it’s not a personality thing.  In fact the one I prefer took a leave of absence because of her school schedule, so she hasn’t even been there in several weeks.  One of the instructors is like a German drill instructor who is struggling to be nice but not doing such a good job of it.  The other is actually is nice, almost too much so.  We never get a lot of cardio work when she is in charge.  So what is it?  Beyond the fact that I need it really badly, of course.

Here’s the list of reasons I came up with last night while working my nightly crossword puzzle in bed.  Why I enjoy water therapy:

1.  It happens at the right time.  7:45 in the morning.  Yep.  I am a morning person.  I most assuredly function better in the morning.  Always have.  Just ask my older brother.  I used to drive him crazy by singing early in the morning.  Of course I’m a terrible singer, so that had something to do with it as well.

2.  The exercises are varied.  That, I’m sure, speaks to my attention span.  I can remember a time in my life when I thrived on solitary pursuits like long distance running.  When we lived in Colorado I reached a point where I was running six miles every day.  Of course I always wore headphones so I could listen – not to music necessarily.  I have always wanted a connection to reality, to what is happening right now.  I even listened to radio talk shows while I ran.  So I have never been one to just listen to cd’s for example.  I welcome the comments from the on air personality, because they give the sense that if something happens that I need to know about, then they will tell me.  May or may not be true, but that’s the assumption my head operates on.  Chris, on the other hand, can’t stand the interjections by the DJ’s.  She would rather drive hundreds of miles in silence than have someone on the radio talk.  So much for listening to radio talk shows.  But I digress.  The variety of exercises keeps my attention.  I don’t get bored.  And they work every part of my body, not just my legs.

3.  And, there is water.  The volume of the water really does make it easier on my joints.  I am able to do so much more than I can on land.  Oh, there is a tweak every now and then, but overall, the total support makes a huge difference. 

4.  And finally, the water is heated.  It feels good.  So good in fact that I would really like to get our hot tub repaired.  We haven’t ever had it fixed since Hurricane Ike, so it probably needs a new engine or motor or whatever it is that swooshes the water around.  And we still have to have the electricity rerun.  But just imagine … the “feels good” without the workout.  Put it on the list. 

Psalms 42:1 says, “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.”

Father, thank you for the qualities of water that have made it possible for me to exercise again with so much less pain.  Amen.

No comments: