Saturday, November 16, 2013

November 16 – “Lost”

We lost Fritz the other day.  No, he didn’t die or anything.  We just lost him.  Fritz is the younger of our two dogs, a jet black mix between a Boston terrier and a spitz.  At least that’s what the vet told us.  He still acts a lot like a puppy, much to the chagrin of our older dachshund, Heidi.  He tends to drive her crazy sometimes.  The other night I went to close up the back door for the night, but Fritz wasn’t in his usual place - by his kennel napping.  Heidi was there, but she didn’t offer any clues as to his whereabouts.  I naturally assumed he had gone outside, so I rattled the handle of the storm door, an action guaranteed to get his attention.  But nothing.  Now the only thing that brings him running faster than rattling that door handle is rattling the handle on the back door.  For some reason that one can bring him running no matter where he is.  But nothing.  Very unusual.  I flipped on the back porch light, but couldn’t see anything.  I went outside and made a walk-around calling his name.  But nothing.  By this time Chris was involved.  She turned on the deck lighting and checked up there.  But nothing.  I grabbed a flashlight and retraced my steps, shining it into bushes and crevices that are favorite relaxing places.  But nothing.  We double-checked the gate to make sure it had not been left open, but it was locked tight.  Chris went to the front yard and walked around out there.  But nothing.  And then on a hunch I tried one final place.  I remembered that earlier in the day I had gone into the garage to crush an aluminum can for our recycling bag.  The door to the garage from the inside as attached to where the dogs’ kennel is, so I thought I would check just to make sure.  And sure enough, when I opened the door, there stood ol’ Fritz, wagging his tail and chomping at the bit to get back inside.  He apparently snuck in behind me that afternoon and had not been quick enough to get back inside.  I never saw him.  All was well, though.  It gets too dark in there for his to do too much exploring, so he probably just slept the whole time.  Welcome back, Fritz.

Luke 15:3-7 says, “Then Jesus told them this parable: ‘Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it?  And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.'  I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.’”

Father, I can’t honestly say we were ready to have a party when we found Fritz, but we did sleep more soundly that night.  And losing, then finding him did give us a little more insight into this parable.  Thanks for that.  Amen.

No comments: