Saturday, November 2, 2013

November 2 – “Candy Bonanza”

I had one short outing yesterday before leaving the Island to the motorcycle enthusiasts.  It is Lone Star Rally weekend here, so thousands of motorcycles and their riders have descended upon Galveston to make lots of noise and show off their rides.  Oh, and I suppose to spend lots of money.  At least that’s what the island hopes for.  I have already seen some strange concoctions that pass for motorcycles.  One looked strangely like a volkswagon with three wheels.  Very odd.  This crowd is actually one of the best behaved groups of all the tourists that come to Galveston.  There are a few extra vehicular accidents, though, and those are always more dangerous without the extra layers of metal that a car provides.  Just gotta keep praying for safety.

After a quick stop at the bank to deposit a check, my outing began at Academy.  I got a ten dollar coupon in the mail from the fishing tournament I sign up for every year.  Not very many strings attached.  Just ten dollars toward whatever I want to buy from Academy.  At Chris’ suggestion I was looking for a simple, cotton, long-sleeved t-shirt.  None to be found.  I finally settled for one of those nylon, stretchy workout shirts that are apparently the hottest thing right now.  I’m not sure how comfortable it will be, but, for two dollars it was worth a shot.

Wal-Mart was my last stop.  I had instructions to determine of any Halloween candy was on sale and get some.  No, really.  I’m totally serious.  Chris actually asked me to go buy some candy.  Woo Hoo.  Permission to go crazy.  And the deals weren’t that bad, either.  Half of what they were they day before.  Skittles, candy corn, Yorks, M&M’s, Reeses’s, Butterfingers, Smarties.  Unbelievable.  Of course there were some strange offerings as well.  Do you like Starbursts?  Any Candy Corn aficionados?  How about Starburst flavored candy corn?   (Yuk).  Or maybe Candy Corn flavored, white chocolate M&M’s (yuk).  I settled on just a few items.  Well, just a few more than Chris intended for me to get, but I was on a roll.  And it WAS for the grandkids, right? 

While I was hovering around the candy display, an older guy (well, he looked a little older than me) came over and introduced himself.  Nice old chap.  Wearing a Tiki Island volunteer fire department cap.  I’m guessing my Galveston fire department cap is what caught his attention.  He informed me that “they canceled Halloween in Tiki last night.  The mayor decided to be the Grinch that stole Halloween.  It’s been rescheduled for tonight.”  Well, OK.  I suppose I needed to know that tidbit of trivia.  Guess he was well-stocked for the post-Halloween Halloween in Tiki Island.

I’m headed this morning over to fire station number 5 on Broadway by the Criminal Justice Center.  It is the Fire Prevention Open House, and I have been asked to pray an invocation.  Sounds like fun, and the public is invited.  “Bring the kids,” I was told.  They are having refreshments, and a fire sprinkler demonstration.  That means … there will be fire. 

Psalms 118:27 says, “The Lord is God, and he has made his light shine upon us.  With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession up to the horns of the altar.”

Father, watch over these motorcyclists.  Amen.

No comments: