Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 9 – “We did that”

 

I worked on the teaching for this coming Sunday today.  We're going back to the life of David.  Almost to the end, so I want to get this series completed.  Beautiful rainbow this afternoon.  Perfect end to a trip to WalMart.

 

There was a lot of distraction around here today.  We kept Cailyn while her Mom went to class, and then Christina and her boys came over to wash some clothes.  Their washing machine is on the fritz.  So lots of ruckus filled the air around here.  It was great, but really hard to concentrate when Cailyn flutters those cute little eyes and grins that fetching grin and wants to go outside.  We did that.  Once we were out there she wanted to fill up Chris's watering cans and empty them out.  We did that.  Many, many times.  Then she wanted to walk up the stairs to the deck.  We did that.  Then she wanted to sit in my office chair and have me spin her around.  We did that.  Then she wanted me to spin the stuffed animals.  We did that.  Then she wanted to take the baby wipes out of their case, refold them to her specifications, and put them back.  We did that.  Somewhere in there Jachin asked me to play catch with him.  The kid loves baseball.  We did that.  I'm pretty sure those kids have a sore little finger right now.  They sure have me wrapped around it.  Tight. 

 

I joke a lot about letting them do anything they want over here at DadDad's house.  And so far it probably seems like a pretty sure bet.  But I'm not gonna let them do anything that will hurt them.  I hovered when she was going up the steps.  And I held her hand coming down.  Well, I may let them fall down a time or two or let the ball hit them so they can see what it feels like and learn not to do it again.  But for the most part, I'm in this grandparenting thing to make sure those guys have some fun memories. 

 

And maybe someday they'll be able to make some spiritual connections.  I sure have. 

 

Psalms 32:8 says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you."

 

Father, thank you for hovering over me when I don't know I need you, and for outright grabbing my hand when I think I can do it on my own.  Amen.


No comments: