Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20 – “Fun Day … Tomorrow”

 

I can't wait until tomorrow.  We had a workday at church today.  The plan was to get as much done as we could to clean up and organize the lower building to make it as usable as possible for community groups and later on for a larger worship space.  In preparation for the day I wrote up some suggested jobs.  Things like clean the bathrooms, wash the windows, sweep and mop, organize the kitchen.  I'm not sure how many were there, but everyone who came seemed to dig in and do some work.  I was consigned to my office.  I still have a lot of books and some files in there, so that became my job from the start.  

 

Now one of my brainstorm ideas was the result of a few comments made the other night by two of the ladies.  They were wondering out loud why we configure our worship space the way we do.  They had all sorts of ideas for reorienting the space so the congregation would face an entirely different direction. So I told them to change it.  And I never went up there to see the end result.  Tomorrow will be a fun day. 

 

We didn't get home in time to make Jachin or Micah's baseball game.  They are already talking about the Spring league, though.  We did get back in time to hang out with Cailyn for a few hours so her Dad could clean some swimming pools.  She was really on, too.  She had not had a nap, but she sure didn't have time for one after she got here.  She didn't slow down enough to even look tired.  Kids are great like that.  Just when the adult is reaching point zero on the energy scale, their booster rockets kick in.  

 

We got our first official Christmas card of the season today.  It had a sad looking dog and a grinning cat on the front.  I think the poor old dog was sad because he had to sit next to the obviously much younger and friskier cat.  Cute card.  But it was from the Houston SPCA.  Why they sent it to us I have no idea.  But it entertained Cailyn for a few minutes.

 

I got a call this afternoon from a lady who wanted to know why I called her daughter.  I told her I had no idea what she was talking about; she called me.  I could hear the kid in the background say it was a text, but the lady hung up.  Earlier in the week I sent out a text to our home group, and one of the phone numbers was apparently a wrong one.  At the time a kid called and asked why I texted her.  At first I thought it was the daughter of one of our group members, but I finally apologized and said it must be a wrong number.  I'm guessing this was the Mom following up.  Sorry about that, Mom, wherever you are.  

 

2 Peter 1:5-9 says, "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins."

 

Father, the perseverance part I'm getting.  It would be nice to have a break or two from the joint pain.  Amen.


No comments: