Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27 – “The Battle of Planet Nana”

 

Ah, the joys of grandchildren.  Each in his or her own particular way making a mark on the world around them.  Our little guys were all together yesterday and made a day of being cousins.  One of my favorite events was, in their own words, "The Battle of Planet Nana."  I'm not sure if that meant Chris was the ruler of Planet Nana or if she was, indeed, Planet Nana itself.  And she didn't want to know.  We just went with the battle as it flowed in our respective arenas.  At one point I was asked to declare loyalties.  "Whose team are you on?" demanded Jachin.  As the oldest, it was his responsibility, I'm sure, to enforce the rules and regulations of war.  I grabbed Caleb as he walked by and said he was my team.  That being settled, we moved on to an explanation of armaments.  They had each fashioned a weapon of sorts from some of the plastic lego-type toys.  Jachin was convinced, of course, that his obviously the best weapon of the lot.  He showed it to me.  "It's a gun and a walkie-talkie, he explained, demonstrating the proper use of each."  Micah happened by at that moment and declared, "My gun is also a bomb … and a Walkie Talkie."  I thought I was trapped at a Maxwell Smart convention.  

 

After lunch we began the process of putting up Christmas decorations.  Now, this will take awhile.  Chris has to really be in the spirit of things for it to work just right.  But we had Nathan and Josh both still here, so she asked them to get the stuff down from the attic.  I didn't argue with that request.  If they didn't get it I would have to, and that is not a creator of pain that I wanted to get into.  They pulled down the stairs and Nathan disappeared into the dark hole of Upper Space.  Josh was providing ground control just a step or two up on the ladder when Cailyn walked in looking for her Dad.  She spotted Uncle Josh and the staircase.  With her hands on her hips she moved forward toward Josh.  Suddenly she let loose with a tirade of unintelligible syllables directed at Josh.  Her little hands were waving back and forth, side to side as she ranted, "Bah twah gom tee shie wom bah lut mah ma co dee"  Followed by a very clear, "Daddy."  Josh was stunned speechless.  Nathan stuck his head out of the attic and cheered her on.  Apparently satisfied that her complaint was filed and her voice heard, Cailyn turned on her heels and walked away, laughing that hilarious laugh of hers.  I have no idea what she told him, but whatever it was … she told him.

 

Romans 15:5-6 says, "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

 

Father, it sounds like unity takes at the least endurance and encouragement.  If you'll help with the former, I'll do what I can with the latter.  Amen.


No comments: