Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 14 – “Yellow Rose”

 

Really good worship time today.  Our worship pastor had some kind of a breakthrough at last week's rehearsal.  He ended up laughing so hard he cried, and the praise team realized that they were having fun.  So next Sunday they are gong to arrive early and do some jamming as the folks arrive.  That's gonna be great.  I told them when I heard them tuning up I'd know that worship time was getting close and I could bring the prayer time to a close.

 

The Seaside Christian Academy school board had a meeting right after church.  I had checked with our youth pastor to make sure he would be there.  I had a funeral the early this afternoon.  He said he wanted to be the staff rep.  But he got a call out from the sheriff's department to investigate a break-in over in Bolivar.  Then he called right after the service and said he was on the ferry headed home when he got another call.  That meant he had to get off, turn around, and get right back on.  I'm glad I trust the school board.  I'm sure they did fine.

 

The funeral was at the Reformed synagogue here in Galveston.  The mother of my first ever date died at age 90.  That first ever date was one or two years ago, back when I was in junior high school at Weis.  I think it was to a dance or something.  I don't remember much other than my older brother had to give us a ride.  How exciting that must have been for him.  I didn't get to say hello to Francine.  People were everywhere.  But I signed the book.  I did get to see some other good friends I haven't seen in awhile, though.  Clay is pastor of one of the other churches here in Galveston.  We got to know Clay and his wife Karla when I coached their son in basketball.  They told me he was getting married soon.  Good for him.  

 

Later this afternoon we head over to the Moody Gardens Hotel where Mom will be one of the honored ones at the Yellow Rose Banquet.  Best I can tell they will be feted for their "humanitarian efforts" at volunteering in Galveston over the years.  Mom sure did her share and then some of that.  Moody Gardens, Oleander Club, PTA.  Hand that lady a yellow rose.  The only problem now is that we're supposed to wear something yellow.  Maybe an old faded undershirt?  Better go look through my closet.  I looked up "yellow" in my Bible program for an appropriate scripture.  The only things that came up were a few verses about determining if someone was unclean, and one about horses and riders with breastplates that were as yellow as sulpher.  So I switched to "help."  Still appropriate.  Great verse.

 

Psalms 33:20-22 says, "We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.  In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.  May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you."

 

Father, help.  Sometimes I just need to say that.  Amen.


No comments: