Friday, November 19, 2010

November 19 – “Soft Landing”

 

We were hanging up some pictures today.  Chris is transforming the yellow bedroom into kind of a kids' shrine motif.  We already have Nathan's skimboard mounted on one wall.  Josh's baseball glove and bat are on another.  On a shelf over the bed are some old hats and balls the boys used to wear.  Now it's time for pictures.  I was holding one up so Chris could see where she wanted it.  And for no apparent reason, I lost my balance.  Not a good thing to do with sore knees.  I got to the point where all my weight was on the knee, and over I went.  Luckily, however, I was standing on the bed.  I did have to twist around to avoid some picture frames, but it turned out to be a soft landing.  It made me feel silly.  It made me wonder, too.  Something is causing the dizziness, but we're not sure what.  Could be medication related.  Could be something totally unrelated to everything else.

 

We went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this morning.  First showing of the day.  I expected more of a crowd from Galveston College or Texas A&M Galveston students.  There were obviously some there, but the median age was not that far from us.  Guess old Harry has gotten to an unexpected generation.  The movie pretty much matched what I have heard.  It was very close to the book, so this particular segment was slow moving.  It was obviously designed to set the stage for the inevitable confrontation between Harry and Voldemort in the last movie that comes out this summer.  That was the problem.  It ended quite abruptly.  Few conflicts were resolved.  I couldn't even use my favorite movie spoiler line, "They all died."  They haven't yet.  Only some of them.  I did like the injuries, though.  Arm nearly ripped off.  Hole blasted in someone's head.  Knife in the gut.  Bloody messes.  Good vs. evil stands in favor of evil at this point, but the good guys haven't given up.  It did make me want to read the book again.  The book is always better than the movie anyway.   But our copy was drowned in the flood.  Maybe WalMart has a cheap paperback. 

 

We stopped by the Moody Methodist craft show on the way home.  It didn't seem as big as last year's.  Of course we were there on Friday afternoon rather than Saturday when the real crowds kick in.  We saw a few friends.  I think Chris wants to go back tomorrow after our church workday.  That would be OK.  She wants to shop.  I like to look for friends and watch people.

 

1 John 3:1-2 says, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is."

 

Father, bring a real revival to Seaside and to Galveston.  Really.  Amen.


No comments: